No announcement yet.

Project Overly Ambitious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to a Pick N Pull with my roommate this weekend to pull parts from a 540iA that came in. Got a non ACS/TSC intake elbow, E30 brown coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, overflow tank cap, and overflow tank level sensor. I had previously purchased a new late model M20 overflow tank that I'll mount in the engine bay battery tray.

Still need to get a brake light switch as well as the power crossover cable, it was really buried and I wanted to leave lol.

Also found out that my wife is pregnant over the weekend so I have about 8.5 months to finish the car.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      Also found out that my wife is pregnant over the weekend so I have about 8.5 months to finish the car.
      Holy shit, congratulations!!! Love​ how casually you dropped it in there lol
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

Hah thanks Carson!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Living the dream! A v8 e30 and a baby! Congrats!
          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Hopefully the kid will appreciate all the work I've put into this thing. Thanks Zac!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Well, I finally tried turning the key this weekend. And the damn thing turned over! It even fired a few times! I don't think you can embed IG videos so I'll just post the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS6UtMyD...ken-by=jpod999

After the fuel system was pressurized there was a decent sized leak that looked like it was coming off of the hose that connects the tank to the fuel filter. I dropped the tank a little bit and replaced the hose- that was a serious pain to do.

The battery was very dead and there's no serpentine belt yet- so we were charging the battery off of my wife's Honda Fit for a little while to be able to turn it over. I charged up a jumper pack last night so hopefully I'll be able to get it to try and run longer.

I'll report back after I try to start it again today!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Congrats JP for the new member of the family!

As for the e30, I bet you can't wait to take a ride in the V8 powered e30 :devil:
                Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
                  Congrats JP for the new member of the family!

As for the e30, I bet you can't wait to take a ride in the V8 powered e30 :devil:
                  Muchas gracias Diego! We are very excited, lots of changes in store for us but they are all good!

I really can't wait to drive the car again, I really miss it. Now that it is running I can pull the engine back out and start working on the brakes again.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

I couldn't leave you guys hanging without video proof, so here it is!

Edit: Well I can't figure out how the YouTube embedding works so here is the direct link: https://youtu.be/CKHUqwQZz18

So for anyone out there who is doing an M62 swap with the 6spd, this is proof that you don't need to run the E34 damper wheel and crank sensor. Just make sure to run the OBDII flywheel and transmission!

To make this happen I pulled the crank sensor out of the passenger side harness pack and pulled the wire out through the back of the harness pack so that I could run it down towards the transmission. This is shielded wire that runs to a three pin connector (one of the pins being ground). The biggest PITA with this setup is that the OBDII crank sensor has two pins and I found depinning the OBDI connector to be difficult. Once I had the connector depinned I cut off the pins and crimped on two new OBDII pins (the OBDI pins I guess are different and wouldn't go into the two pin connector- your mileage may vary) that I picked up at my local dealer. I extended the ground wire and crimped on a ring connector, shoved the two new pins into a two pin connector I had laying around which I then plugged into the crank sensor, and grounded the ring connector to the transmission via the crank sensor bolt.
                    Last edited by jpod999; 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                      I couldn't leave you guys hanging without video proof, so here it is!

Edit: Well I can't figure out how the YouTube embedding works so here is the direct link: https://youtu.be/CKHUqwQZz18

So for anyone out there who is doing an M62 swap with the 6spd, this is proof that you don't need to run the E34 damper wheel and crank sensor.
                      Well... as long as you have an OBDII transmission and flywheel...

Comment

Congrads bro! that first start is always awesome!
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                          Well... as long as you have an OBDII transmission and flywheel...
                          You are 100% correct there. I'll edit my post so that people don't get the wrong info, thanks!

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                          Congrads bro! that first start is always awesome!
                          Thanks! It's a huge relief to have it start up :D

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

Awesome man. Making good progress, the rest of the same should fall together quickly now.
                            1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

The wife is about 9 weeks now and the pedals are about 25% of the way in. It's such a PITA working down there, so little room!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Ordered my brake fittings. Pedals are assembled and setup but I need fitting before I can bench bleed them and then bolt them into the car.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X