Herp de derp M60 in progress - track day complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome dude , I am happy for you !
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

The power steering reservoir cap has an o-ring, just replace it.

The 5k rev limiter sounds like a VSS issue, do you have it wired up?
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        The power steering reservoir cap has an o-ring, just replace it.
        This reservoir is ~3 years old, and ive replaced the cap 2x already. Kinda over it

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        The 5k rev limiter sounds like a VSS issue, do you have it wired up?
        I do, here's the pinning, if you dont mind double checking my math...

my CPS measures in spec, but its original, the plastic over-molding is cracked off. i did read this could cause it.

also, ive been convinced my clutch isnt slipping, its the LSD. i just measured breakaway torque, its 25 ft lbs....:crazy: anyone else run sticky tires and have an upgraded LSD?
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
        1988 340iL - Track car
        My M60 V8 swap thread here
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Pin 14 to Pin 14 should be right for a round c101-x20 VSS. I'd check continuity from the DME pin to the cluster pin, if it definitely feels like an actual rev limiter at a consistent 5k. Also, I assume your tach is correct, you have some sort of RPM conversion going on?
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Pulled my driveshaft, exhaust, and rear subframe in about 2hrs today.
            Never replaced the brake lines above the subframe so doing that, and I've ordered the 4clutch set up from BimmerDiffs/Thayer Motorsports.

I did find that the underside of my car was soaked in trans fluid. Mostly driver side, but from the rear half of the trans (drain plug area) all the way back to the gas tank was coated with trans oil. Known leaks: drain plug, a little output shaft seal, but I'm guessing with that amount it was the stupid breather on top. I'll be putting a hose on that and replacing the output seal and the drain plug. New fluid wouldn't hurt.

Maybe another track day at the end of the year or early Jan.
            Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 12-26-2018, 08:10 PM.
            We're in deep now boys
            1988 340iL - Track car
            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

With the subframe dropped, brakelines come off no issues. Not too bad for 30 years old!

Off topic, but picked up these beat to hell ZHPs for my beat to hell daily e46 (super cheap)

On to the diff, all blown apart

Away we go

Let the new clutches and dog plates soak in some fluid

Diff blown apart

Old clutches are completely trashed, junk. Borderline smooth.

Compared to the new clutches, which are uniform color/grit. Thayer / Bimmerdiffs Performance 4 clutch kit

Here's the rest of the kit. Machined top hat, to fit the 4th clutch

new seals

new clutches installed:

Do you see the problem?

Didn't think about needing a new bearing on the new hat

Thankfully i have a press and it popped right off after some thinking

Pressed onto the new hat, done (pretend its all bolted together)

Cleaned up the cover and hit it with some paint

All done. This took more time than i was anticipating. I think doing it again would be much quicker, assuming the bearings are in as good shape as mine were, and able to be reused.

Motul reccomended by Thayer.

See how much I get done tomorrow, still waiting on FCP for my last parts order with transmission stuff.

Happy Holidays v8 people
              We're in deep now boys
              1988 340iL - Track car
              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                Thankfully i have a press and it popped right off after some thinking

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking" -Voltaire

For future reference, turn the bearing puller 90 degrees to the way you have it now.
                The way you're using it here, the bending moment is on the bolts. If you turn it 90, the bending moment will be on the (much stronger) forged components instead of the bolts.

Comment

How long have you been a Blue Apron subscriber?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                      How long have you been a Blue Apron subscriber?
                      I did actually try it for about 3 weeks. The food was great, but it was just too expensive for regular use. I kept the recipes for future use, they're quite good.

Please like and subscribe!
                      We're in deep now boys
                      1988 340iL - Track car
                      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Cars been put together, haven't even driven it with the new diff.
                        Signed up for another track day 2/2...
                        We're in deep now boys
                        1988 340iL - Track car
                        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Capture some videos! :)
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Clutch line

Hi, great story so far. I’m in the middle of my m60 swap. I’m using the same transmission, flywheel, slave setup. What clutch line did you use to make the connection to the slave? You mentioned the Garagistic one. Is it the one for the E30 that worked for you? I tried using the one with all the bends that comes with the 5 speed but the connection points in the wrong direction. Thanks

Comment

Just go to a hydraulic shop and have them fab you a new one with a length that you determine.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by SuperG View Post
                                Hi, great story so far. I’m in the middle of my m60 swap. I’m using the same transmission, flywheel, slave setup. What clutch line did you use to make the connection to the slave? You mentioned the Garagistic one. Is it the one for the E30 that worked for you? I tried using the one with all the bends that comes with the 5 speed but the connection points in the wrong direction. Thanks
                                I got the whole garagistic booster delete plumbing kit.
                                I would just shoot them an email and ask to buy just the line. However, i also wish that i had a right angle fitting at the slave end, you cant pull the slave out with the line attached if you use their line.

If you look back in my thread, you'll see all i ended up using was the lines from this kit. The block off/pass thru plate was junk.
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X