No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work has been crazy, hence no progress in a while. I did get some thinner MIG wire and new tips, but probably won't have time to finish the new oil pan till next weekend.

Comment

Ordered the JagsThatRun Heavy-duty driveshaft flange for BMW V8 engine swaps, as well as a Spicer yoke for the transmission end. Will have a driveshaft built that uses 1310 u-joints, going to try to get it in queue at a local shop this week.

Comment

Haven't noticed your build before! Congrats on the first start.

Cool to see a V8 E30 project in the area :up:

Comment

Hoping to have it at least moving before long. My HOA probably gets complaints all the time about it, but so far they haven't said anything.

Comment

Got some work in today. First thing I did was put an endoscope down a spark plug hole to make sure there was no contact between the valves and the pistons. So far so good.

Then I started working on the fan and radiator. The fan is from a Ford Fusion (thanks Laminar on BF.c for the idea).

Have about an inch of clearance.

So started working on the radiator. Welded in some metal that I could use to actually mount the radiator. Still a work in progress, but a good start.

And the radiator sitting in its new home.

I had to cut a hole in the top of the core support for the fill hole, but that's not a big deal. I also had to remove the hood latch, I'll patch in some new metal next time. Need to go grab some self etching primer, don't want this stuff to rust.

Comment

I'm not a great welder, but I'm pretty happy with how this came out.

Have a lot more reinforcements to weld in, but this is a decent start.

Comment

I've thought about modding the radiator support in a similar way to accommodate a clutch fan on my M30 so that I can run AC... how do you intend to keep the hood shut? This was the sticking point for me thus far.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  I've thought about modding the radiator support in a similar way to accommodate a clutch fan on my M30 so that I can run AC... how do you intend to keep the hood shut? This was the sticking point for me thus far.
                  I have those Aerocatch hood pins, love the way they look, and got the locking type.

I can find the model of the radiator if you'd like, it's one from Summit.

Comment

I'm no welder, part deux...

Welded in the camber/toe adjustment setup for the rear subframe, then rust converted and primed.

Comment

Productive weekend. I finished the replacement oil pan and primed it, need to do a top coat with engine enamel. It's ugly, but it doesn't leak, I left it sitting with water in it for over an hour.

I also started taking the trailing arms apart, got one fully disassembled, started to strip it, and welded on the reinforcements. I welded the plate reinforcement top and bottom... My welds aren't too awesome, somehow I can color in the lines but can't weld a straight bead to save my life. I tried going over the first bead again, and it just wound up more crooked, and got some porosity...

Oh well. I still have another one to do, maybe it'll come out better. Need to prime and paint this one, but have one more small plate to do. A buddy gave me some tips to improve my welding, so I'll practice those before I tackle the other trailing arm.
                      Last edited by Elysian; 12-02-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I've got the entire week of Christmas off, so planning on getting a ton of work done.

Comment

Was busy most of the day, but went out and welded in another small reinforcement on the rear trailing arm. I'm happier with this one.

Comment

Got the other trailing arm stripped down, now need to clean it up and prep it for welding. Will probably do that tomorrow.

Comment

Finished welding the trailing arm and got everything primed with etching primer and painted black.

Still have a bunch of parts I need:

Wheel bearings
                              E46 rear brake caliper adapter
                              E46 rear brake calipers
                              E46 rear brake pads
                              Z4 rear rotors
                              All E-brake parts
                              Brake lines
                              Brake dust shields, both sides (were very rusted out, the E-brake parts just broke right off the shields)

So won't have the rear end together any time soon. I think I'm going to shift my focus to the front subframe now, need to pull the one out of my 86...

Comment

Pulled the front subframe from my spare E30 today, managed to do it without even getting under the car. A good thing, as it's been raining and was really muddy under there.

Going to be attempting a tubular front subframe for this, may even try to run a rear sump oil pan on the V8...

Comment

Working...
                                X