No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered the outer barrels and hardware to convert my Style 5 wheels to 3 piece. That should be a fun process. Going to have 10" wide front wheels and 11" wide rear wrapped in Nitto NT05's.

Comment

Fuel cell and FPR/filter showed up today. Stoked.

Comment

2 weeks of vacation starts tomorrow, going to try to get a lot done on the BMW

Comment

Decided to install the fuel cell this morning. Cut the hole for it and quickly found the fittings were too high on the sump to sit below the trunk floor, so started building a hump to slide everything under. Basically cut two shallow cuts along the bends, bent it by hand, made a cardboard template for the trapezoid shape on the sides, and cut that out of steel then welded everything up.

After that, drilled the mount holes, welded some nuts on the bottom side, and installed the cell.

Still waiting on the fuel pump, and I need to actually paint the bottom side of the trunk floor. Will probably get that painted tomorrow morning, then start building out the rear end.

Comment

Just put the 2nd coat of Rustoleum truckbed liner on the trunk floor. Also have 1 coat on the underside, I think I'll leave the underside at one coat.

Probably going to spend some time assembling the rear tonight.

Comment

Original fuel tank removed:

Rear trailing arms and shocks installed:

And new rear shock mounts installed:

The previous rear shocks and shock mounts are actually still in great shape, so I am going to hang on to them.

Comment

Today I decided to try to tackle the CV axles... i have 4 total axles here, 2 in each E30. I initially tried to rebuild both axles that came in the V8 E30, but one of them had a nasty marred spot inside:

So I grabbed one of the ones from my backyard E30, hence why the two axles aren't identical. It'll work till it breaks. I'll buy the needed parts to rebuild the messed up one in the future.

So here's the finished axles. It's nearly impossible to disassemble the outer side, so I flushed out the grease with a cleaner, then flushed out the cleaner with acetone before repacking the CV with grease.

Hopefully I assembled them correctly I've never done this before. They do seem to move properly, no crunching or anything, so we'll see.

Comment

Minor fab work today. Started building the rear brake dust shields. I got a little over enthusiastic with the grinder and wound up having to fill a big gap, but all things considered I'm happy with how it is. I feel like I handled the thin sheet metal better than I did in past projects. Will grind the welds down smooth later on.

Now I just need to duplicate this for the passenger side. Might tackle that tomorrow, but need to pick up some more grinding and cutting wheels.

Comment

Finished up the passenger side a dust shield, ground down the welds, and primed.

Ran out of argon in the middle of the 2nd one, probably was low when working on the first one last night too. Everything went way smoother when I got a full argon tank.

Comment

Seam seal goes on top of primer :)

The new cell is sitting much higher, can you drop and squeeze it between the rails?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Seam seal goes on top of primer :)

The new cell is sitting much higher, can you drop and squeeze it between the rails?
                        I don't want it between the rails.

edit: I plan to build a diffuser similar to the one dvallis built, so if there winds up being room lower down because of the diffuser, I may lower the fuel tank, but for now, that's where it will live.
                        Last edited by Elysian; 04-06-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Glad to see this coming along!
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                            Glad to see this coming along!
                            Me too, super stoked on how it's going. I plan to have the entire rear end built by the weekend.

Comment

Today I built out the drivers side brakes:

These rotors are 294mm vented rotors from a Z4, big upgrade over the stock rears. Also installed the Garagistic steel braided brake lines.

Comment

Passenger side rear is done. I also swapped the brake calipers from left to right to get the bleed nipple on top. I'll need to make a small hard line to make this work, but that won't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X