No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So $280 for the remaining head work, which includes conversion to 3/8" studs and guide plates and shaving the spring perch to fit the dual springs. Hoping to get that rolling in the new few weeks, until then I'll keep plugging away at the bottom end.

I figure I'm still spending less than new heads, and when I get the new heads in the future I can sell these on to someone who wants a budget performance head.

Comment

Dropped the heads off at the machine shop this morning, hopefully have them back early next week. Didn't ask what the turnaround was right now, who knows could get them back today.

Comment

And I ordered roller rockers and everything I need to convert to them, minus the hardened pushrods. I'll measure for those.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the results

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Looking forward to seeing the results
            x2
            loving progress on this build
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Got the rest of the pistons installed and the caps torqued to spec. Engine still rotates so I'm happy about that.

Will also hopefully have my heads back this week, if I do I'll assemble them this weekend and get them on the engine.
              Last edited by Elysian; 12-17-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Got the call from the machine shop, they were "done" with my heads... Got there and was getting read to load them up in my pickup, but asked about the valve stem seals... The guy didn't know what I was talking about, but told me they machined my heads for 0.550" seals... So he goes off, finds my seals, and we measure and they're 0.500"... That won't work, so I wasn't able to take my heads home today.

I did get my injectors yesterday, and took a stock one out to compare, they're virtually identical besides the electrical connector.

So fitment won't be an issue. The new ones have a larger fuel inlet, and larger holes in the spray end. They're 40-42lbs at LS1 fuel pressures.

Comment

Got my heads :D

They look great, very happy with the work. Can't wait to start putting them together, though that won't be until next week.

Comment

I found a World Class Tremec T5 from a 99-02 Mustang today. No bellhousing, but should be compatible, and is only $300. Might be able to go manual after all. Sent them an email.

Comment

Acquired.

Comment

8x 42lb injectors? Seems like overkill. A V8 that uses that much fuel would crunch that T5.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

8x 42lb injectors? Seems like overkill. A V8 that uses that much fuel would crunch that T5.
                          I know :devil: won't use all that fuel, but for 90 for all 8 couldn't pass it up. Still, with my 400hp goal I'm aware the T5 won't last forever. It is at least one of the higher rated T5's.

Comment

Have you looked into adapting the Getrag 260 to the 302? That's what I'd want to do with this swap. The 260 is definitely stronger than a WC T5.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Tags:

Rated for 300lb-ft from what I'm seeing. I won't be racing it, it's just meant to be a stupid street machine...

Comment

Have you looked into adapting the Getrag 260 to the 302? That's what I'd want to do with this swap. The 260 is definitely stronger than a WC T5.
                                I've got a 260/6 from an M30, and a ZF from an E46, but neither have removeable bellhousings. Ideally I'd run a T56 or a TKO, but that's just not in the budget yet, especially considering all the $ I've already spent on a car that still hasn't even had a sniff of a 302 in it... Right now, I'm in "get it on the road" mode. Motor build should be done this month. I was going to run the 4R70W, but that's a humongous and heavy transmission, and I'm not even sure it would fit in the trans tunnel after massaging. I also would have needed a Microsquirt to run the overdrive, or a switch to manually enable it, makes the swap more complicated.

Comment

Working...
                                X