86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the car on the tow home.

It has a vacuum leak that I'm working through. I want to get it running, get it inspected and registered, and drive it for a while. I've never driven an E30, so I want to get a feel for the car. Here's one vacuum leak I found:

The nipple on the left side was disconnected. I've ordered a new intake manifold gasket, fuel injector gaskets, throttle body gasket, etc. Also need to check the brake booster, make sure it's not split or anything.

Comment

Found a nice custom exhaust for the M20 in the red E30 yesterday. Full exhaust, including header, X pipe, and Magnaflow muffler with nice looking tips for $100. The header needs a tiny bit of work as it deformed from heat cycling, but it's nothing I can't fix on my own. It's a nice enough system that I'll actually be able to use it for the V8 swap as well, just chop the headers off it.

Comment

Nearly have the red one running, but I'm starting to lose interest in getting it going since I have my argon/CO2 tank and am ready to weld. Here's a video:

Seems like a fuel pressure issue, if I blip the throttle it'll die, but if I slowly rev it up off idle it'll rev. I think I'm going to pull the M20 out of it and start tearing it down, rebuilding it. Perhaps put it in the eta, so I have two running E30s instead of one.

Comment

Just ordered a camshaft kit:

Free Shipping - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Camshaft Kits at Summit Racing.

Time to get serious I guess.

Comment

Got started on the top end disassembly. Everything looks really good so far, no surprises under the valve covers or in the valley. I've been recording video, going to start a Youtube channel for the build now. The cam gets here today, I'm hoping to have the old one out today or tomorrow. I had one bolt on the water pump that was completely stuck, wound up having to cut the head off of it. It's still in there, going to have to use heat and penetrating oil to get it out.

Comment

Found both head gaskets were blown. Camshaft, rockers, valves, etc look great. Was smelling the smell of blown head gasket in the oil, so decided to pull the heads.

Cylinders still have cross-hatching in them, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing now. Going to have to get the heads and block inspected now I suppose.

Comment

Got the heads stripped down and ready to take to the machine shop tomorrow. Will have them checked for flatness.

Comment

While the heads are at the machine shop I figured I should start on the suspension. One quarter of the 5 lug swap is done... A little too much poke though.

Wide body is in the plans, but I'm honestly not even sure if these will clear the firewall, much less the fender.

I used the M3 springs, but I'm starting to think I should put the E30 spring back in. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Comment

What 5-lug setup?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Haven't welded since high school and it shows Started making my welding table today.

Only going to show one bead, since it's the only not completely awful one I got :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                      What 5-lug setup?
                      E36 M3 up front, 318ti in the rear.
                      Last edited by Elysian; 08-12-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Heads are back. Gonna paint them. Going to drop the block off at the machine shop in 2 weeks for inspection/any necessary work.

Comment

Worked some more on my welding table, got it standing. Still need to put the castors on.

Beads are getting better, but maybe not sitting quite flat enough. Gonna just keep working on it. After I build the table I'll probably just start practicing on scraps, watch videos, try to figure it out a bit better. For reference, the vertical bead is from my first day welding, the horizontal one is from day 2.

Cam kit is going back to Summit, I ordered the wrong one. Didn't realize my engine was a roller engine till I pulled the heads apart, probably should have researched it better, but found a cam that fits my wants while being a roller setup.

Comment

Finally drove an E30 today, made me so much more stoked to get my E30 V8 going. Was an M52 swapped car on coilovers, just a great experience.

Comment

Finished breaking down the 302, going to take it to the machine shop tomorrow. The block looks good, going to have them inspect it and clean it up. Most of the bearings were well worn, definitely wouldn't have been a good idea to run it like that. The rear crank bearing was completely copper even. The rod bearings weren't too bad, but definitely needed replacing. The crank didn't look like it was poorly worn, but I'll have them check it and decide what to do after that. If it's too worn to use I'll probably just start saving for a 347 stroker crank.

Comment

Going to pick up the block and crank after work. They cleaned everything, honed the cylinders (still stock bore), polished the crank (still stock bearings), and installed new cam bearings. Not bad for just over $300.

Comment

Working...
                                X