M62TU swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M62TU swap

Hey r3v, I decided to share some pictures and info of my M62TU swap in progress. I don't see this motor being swapped very often so there isn't much info out there.

Background: My 86 325es has been M30 swapped since 2007, turbocharged in 2009 (video link, video link), and un-turbocharged in 2011 in an effort to pass the CA BAR. The car sat for years until I actually passed the bar in March, 2016. I then decided that n/a M30 power was not enough power for me.

I bought a package deal that included an M62TU and 6 speed originally from a 2001 E39 540i. Also included Garagistic motor mount brackets, manifolds, and a wilwood pedal assembly. This motor was completely gone thru and used in a E28 for roughly 4k miles according to the PO.

I am building this car to be a fun and functional weekend driver. I plan to have heat but no A/C, functioning OBD2, and manual wilwood pedals with big brakes which I will cover in this thread.

Engine Pictures:

Engine bay after M30 and sound deadening removal.

After hours of removing the core support, filling holes, priming, and laying down bed-liner.

Engine sits in there pretty nicely. However, it is off-center by about a half-inch. I am using garagistic motor mount brackets on M60 mounts, which is what they recommend. However, if I were to shift the motor over a half inch, the alternator would be right on the frame rail.

Rear of engine. I am using the position that mounts the motor farther forward in the engine bay for the time being. I would like to be able to access the heater core hoses if need be. Not sure what this will look like up front yet.

Drivers side garagistic manifolds, X5 (or maybe e39, I need to check and see) oil lines and filter housing, air cooled alternator (M62TUs came with water cooled units and a completely different timing cover)

Passenger side manifold. The PO modified these for E28 fitment. These extra lenghts hit the passenger side floor board and need to be modified back to how garagistic does them.

The hardest part of this swap from what I've gathered is the wiring. Basically I am treating this like an s62 as far as that goes. There is no C101. These two plugs on the ECU will connect to the E30's C101 connector, fuel pump relay, OBD2 connector, etc.

Had my ECU tuned for an M60 manifold and the EWS removed by Kassel. Also had the upstream cat, o2 monitors, and air pump monitors removed.

More to come...
    Last edited by JoeMadoo; 11-21-2017, 10:36 PM. Reason: grammar and correcting some info
    '86 E30
    '05 E53 X5
    '72 Firebird
    '10 Prius
    '03 Tundra

Crazy! I hated that engine so much in my brothers 03 540i 6speed m-sport (with the water cooled alternator, and rattling vanos and crappy single row timing guide :(

Subscribed!
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Nice excited to see how this goes!
      Originally posted by csermonet47
      Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post
        This motor was completely gone thru and used in a E28 for roughly 4k miles according to the PO.
        You don't by chance happen to have a build thread for this, do you?

Comment

You don't by chance happen to have a build thread for this, do you?
          I don't. I could probably find out though.

Nice excited to see how this goes!
          Me too, thank you.

Crazy! I hated that engine so much in my brothers 03 540i 6speed m-sport (with the water cooled alternator, and rattling vanos and crappy single row timing guide
          Great, lol. If the vanos wasn't rebuilt and the engine "gone thru" already, I wouldn't have bought it. Hoping to make some good power with the M60 manifold, tune, and working vanos.
          '86 E30
          '05 E53 X5
          '72 Firebird
          '10 Prius
          '03 Tundra

Comment

Looks like a promising project!

For those of us not in the US, what are the requirements for the BAR?

Make sure you keep plenty of detail on the wiring!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              Crazy! I hated that engine so much in my brothers 03 540i 6speed m-sport (with the water cooled alternator, and rattling vanos and crappy single row timing guide :(

Subscribed!
              Lol. I love mine so far.

Good luck with the swap. Sub’d
              sigpic
              Gun control means using both hands
              Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post

Every emission related component for the engine you are installing should be in the chassis you are installing into. Every vacuum line, charcoal canister, exhaust manifolds, cats, o2 sensors, intake box, etc etc as it was on the donor car.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

So how do they police it? I assume an inspection, do they check the part numbers to ensure you're not using an E30 airbox with the V8 for instance?

How do they treat modified components, for instance the exhaust manifolds which dont fit?

Barring those and the cats (depending on age) I'd be installing it all anyway!

Comment

You go through a visual inspection where they check everything, and then they put it on the sniff test.

The exhaust manifolds is one of the most difficult parts of getting a 32v swap BARd in california. The X5 manifolds aren't legal, so that option is totally gone and it is difficult to get the stock manifolds to work. You aren't really supposed to modify the exhaust, so to make them fit you almost have to do what you need to do, and then hope you have a lenient inspector.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMadoo View Post
                      I don't. I could probably find out though.

And if he's no longer running an M60 in the E28, I might buy the mounts and mount arms from him.

Comment

Thank you! I will do my best, I am having Kassel build a harness for me as well to mate to the C101 connector. I am not going to mess with the bar this time.

Lol. I love mine so far.

Good luck with the swap. Sub’d
                        Thank you!

And if he's no longer running an M60 in the E28, I might buy the mounts and mount arms from him.
                        Aparently he used the E30 garagistic mount arms and non-offset motor mounts in the e28. I have an extra set of motor mount arms I will likely sell.
                        '86 E30
                        '05 E53 X5
                        '72 Firebird
                        '10 Prius
                        '03 Tundra

Comment

Minor Update.

Mounted the E39 oil filter housing to the drivers side of the engine bay. Not sure if I love it but its out of the way and accessible here. Used a E39 filter mount bracket and rubber mounts to take away some of the shock. Need to hook up the drain line still. It's hard to tell in the pictures, the SS lines aren't rubbing on the frame rail, they are about a quarter inch above it.

If I had more time, patience, money, and determination, I make a custom mount and use AN lines. But I don't.

Also thinking about where to mount these brake fluid reservoirs. I like them on the firewall. Also thinking about mounting my C101 holder to the right side (left in the picture) of the fuse box.

Critiques appreciated. Will post brake system pictures next.

My plan is to finish the brake system
                          Fix the passenger side exhaust manifold
                          Bolt in the core support using tabs welded on
                          Install the cooling system using an Z3M radiator, not sure on coolant tank yet
                          Installing engine harness and custom C101 harness
                          Figure out a shifter and a driveshaft
                          Fuel lines, power steering system, other odds and ends
                          Have dual exhaust built using Magnaflow mufflers or something similar
                          Last edited by JoeMadoo; 11-20-2017, 11:34 PM.
                          '86 E30
                          '05 E53 X5
                          '72 Firebird
                          '10 Prius
                          '03 Tundra

Comment

your filter mount looks nice and clean. did you remove the abs module?
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

your filter mount looks nice and clean. did you remove the abs module?
                              Thank you. Yes the ABS is removed.
                              '86 E30
                              '05 E53 X5
                              '72 Firebird
                              '10 Prius
                              '03 Tundra

Comment

Working...
                              X