X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supadave
    replied
    Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
    That is really close to what I did with the exception of going all the way back with the raised portion. I used a cutoff wheel and made a cut along the bottom of the body line. I put a piece of foam on top of the engine and placed the hood back on the car. I let the engine make the shape in the hood and then I exaggerated it a little more for clearance. I welded it in place and then filled in the gaps with scrap metal I had.

I thought I had more pictures of it in my build thread, but i guess not. I can send you some tonight if you'd like. I have them on my portable hard drive.
    Thanks man! that would be awesome.

Leave a comment:

• sgtskid
    replied
    That is really close to what I did with the exception of going all the way back with the raised portion. I used a cutoff wheel and made a cut along the bottom of the body line. I put a piece of foam on top of the engine and placed the hood back on the car. I let the engine make the shape in the hood and then I exaggerated it a little more for clearance. I welded it in place and then filled in the gaps with scrap metal I had.

I thought I had more pictures of it in my build thread, but i guess not. I can send you some tonight if you'd like. I have them on my portable hard drive.

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    So I'm thinking of doing something like this... With a spare hood of course. Just incase I don't like the way it comes out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0721.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	7194258

Name:	IMGP0724.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	7194259

Name:	IMGP0746_zpsec55ba26.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	7194260

I really want to follow the existing lines of the car.

Leave a comment:

• sgtskid
    replied
    Originally posted by Supadave View Post
    You have any pics of the scoop?
    I haven't even started yet but I was going to carve one from scratch by stacking foam blocks onto the existing hood. I moved across the state in Oct and wasn't able to bring anything with me. Unfortunately, the car and all my tools are stashed in storage unit back in Knoxville and will be for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    For the little amount of effort that was put into the hood, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. If i had put a little more time into the fab work, I might keep it on the car but at the time I just needed something to get me on the road and the blue hood was already damaged....no loss if I messed it up or didn't like the outcome. I still have the original hood in storage and my plan is to mold a scoop onto it and pull a fiberglass mold.

Even with most of the bracing removed the hood is still pretty heavy.
    You have any pics of the scoop?

Leave a comment:

• sgtskid
    replied
    Not bad, I bet with a lil more time and effort this could look pretty good. I would probably continue the height all the way to the end of the hood...
    For the little amount of effort that was put into the hood, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. If i had put a little more time into the fab work, I might keep it on the car but at the time I just needed something to get me on the road and the blue hood was already damaged....no loss if I messed it up or didn't like the outcome. I still have the original hood in storage and my plan is to mold a scoop onto it and pull a fiberglass mold.

Even with most of the bracing removed the hood is still pretty heavy.

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    The truck intake will not clear the stock hood. I butchered a scrap hood as a quick fix but i had to raise it 2-3" to clear comfortably.

See if this link works for you. I have a spreadsheet for gear ratios vs. RPMs that I used for my car. Super handy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2e...ew?usp=sharing
    Not bad, I bet with a lil more time and effort this could look pretty good. I would probably continue the height all the way to the end of the hood...

Leave a comment:

• sgtskid
    replied
    The truck intake will not clear the stock hood. I butchered a scrap hood as a quick fix but i had to raise it 2-3" to clear comfortably.

See if this link works for you. I have a spreadsheet for gear ratios vs. RPMs that I used for my car. Super handy.

Last edited by sgtskid; 02-28-2018, 10:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Its about 4" taller then a ls1/ls6 intake. I don't know how much head room those intakes have to the hood. Maybe someone here can pull those measurements from the ls1/ls6 intake to their hood. That way we can figure out how much room I will need to have.
    maybe you can experiment with laying something about that height on top of your engine and see if the hood will close over it?

No, there cathedral. I'm running the adapters which are 1/2" thick.

will this make the intake stick up higher? maybe it might be worth finding the matching heads if it could clear without hood modification.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by Pootis View Post
    You are not considering the gearing differences between a T56 and a getrag 260
    Actually I am. I am the one who suggested a gearing calculator, if you take the time to read my posts

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    Originally posted by Pootis View Post
    Are your heads already rectangular port?
    No, there cathedral. I'm running the adapters which are 1/2" thick.

Leave a comment:

• Pootis
    replied
    Are your heads already rectangular port?

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    can you give me an idea about how far it will stick out?

Its about 4" taller then a ls1/ls6 intake. I don't know how much head room those intakes have to the hood. Maybe someone here can pull those measurements from the ls1/ls6 intake to their hood. That way we can figure out how much room I will need to have.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Believe me I really don't want to cut a hole in the hood. The hood clearance has been bothering me since I started on this project. I really appreciate the help
    can you give me an idea about how far it will stick out?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flyboyx; 02-28-2018, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pootis
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    A supercharged F-body is probably running 26-28" slicks or drag radials depending on power output, so what gearing they run isn't going to be the same as what you want with a car which is several hundred pounds lighter with sub 25" tires.

FWIW I run a 3.25 LSD on my E30, and it's great for street driving and far from under-geared. A 0-60 run ends in 2nd gear and I still get some wheelspin even with good tires. If I had the torque of a supercharged 5.3 V8 I'd probably be burning rubber all the way through 3rd.
    You are not considering the gearing differences between a T56 and a getrag 260. I ran a 2.93 on my turbo M20 with a getrag 260 and it was the perfect rear diff. Ran the same diff on my ls swap and it was a dog. Didn't even break the tires loose and the two were making comparable HP with the LS making more torque. I'm running a 4.10 now I would not say that is a good call for a 500+ hp car but perfect for an N/A car. Plus I imagine this will not be his daily driver so have some fun with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X