It’s started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
    The ZF I have is from an 01 330ci, the bolt pattern on it is for the inline 6. Maybe there's an adapter plate? The V8 bolt pattern is pretty different from the inline 6. The 530i 320z is available with the V8 bellhousing.
    So i need to find an e34 v8 manual for this basically no matter what or a good on a ZF from a 6 that can remove the housing and get an adapter plate...lol easy day

Comment

Is it possible he meant a 6 cylinder driveshaft and not the transmission? The bolt patterns on the bell housings will always be separated by 6 cylinder and 8. For example there’s the Getrag 420 that fits the e46 m3 but they also use the same designation for the e39 540i. You just have to be sure you get one meant for the v8.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjensen View Post
        Is it possible he meant a 6 cylinder driveshaft and not the transmission? The bolt patterns on the bell housings will always be separated by 6 cylinder and 8. For example there’s the Getrag 420 that fits the e46 m3 but they also use the same designation for the e39 540i. You just have to be sure you get one meant for the v8.
        I'm thinking that this is most likely the scenario...also and or he means to find these transmissions and then "there's an adapter for everything these days" mentality?

Thanks for the assist!

Comment

Ok so random but possible reality question...I am near a yard that I can get x5 (M62) intake and exhaust manifolds and the oil plate all for $100 or should I just get the whole motor (broken timing chain) for $250 and pull more stuff from it? is it worth the work and time for the extra $150? Part out what I don't need? Thanks to all!

Comment

Isn't it popular to do M60/M62 hybrid motors?

Comment

I think it is...just haven't seen much for externals other than whats mentioned previously, maybe internals? which on the x5 motor are most likely shot due to timing chain snapping on it...

Comment

Originally posted by steel330i View Post
                Ok so random but possible reality question...I am near a yard that I can get x5 (M62) intake and exhaust manifolds and the oil plate all for $100 or ...

The vanos M62 intake manifold is a down grade from the M60 manifold, it has smaller runners. The non-vanos M62 intake manifold is the same as the M60 so no need to purchase.

Most vanos-M62 guys upgrade to the M60 intake manifold.

It was believed that M60 heads on the M62 bumped compression closer to 11:1 and the M60 heads have slightly bigger valves and bigger cams. I did the M60 heads on my non-vanos M62 block and after measuring everything the static compression lowered closer to 9.5:1 from stock 10:1, I didn't mind as I'm supercharged.

The M62 pistons sit .025" above deck and have roughly a 4cc dish to them:

The M60 Pistons are .035" above deck and are totally flat top

....most guys assumed the B40 heads had smaller chambers without measuring.
                Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 07-20-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk540i/6 View Post
                  The vanos M62 intake manifold is a down grade from the M60 manifold, it has smaller runners. The non-vanos M62 intake manifold is the same as the M60 so no need to purchase.

Most vanos-M62 guys upgrade to the M60 intake manifold.

It was believed that M60 heads on the M62 bumped compression closer to 11:1 and the M60 heads have slightly bigger valves and bigger cams. I did the M60 heads on my non-vanos M62 block and after measuring everything the static compression lowered closer to 9.5:1 from stock 10:1, I didn't mind as I'm supercharged.

The M62 pistons sit .025" above deck and have roughly a 4cc dish to them:

The M60 Pistons are .035" above deck and are totally flat top

....most guys assumed the B40 heads had smaller chambers without measuring.
                  HOLY CRAP! Ok so no need to buy the motor lol...thanks for your input...saved me a ton of time and money

Comment

So here is my pseudo shopping list for next few weeks...

junkyard - 5 lug swap/X5 oil block/x5 headers/x5 harness/e36 rear diff/

ebay - z3m radiator/z3 steering rack

Comment

Originally posted by steel330i View Post
                      So here is my pseudo shopping list for next few weeks...

junkyard - 5 lug swap/X5 oil block/x5 headers/x5 harness/e36 323is (medium case)rear diff/

ebay - z3m radiator/z3 steering rack
                      is there any benefit to grabbing the e36 driveshaft as well with the diff? I'm thinking so just for fitment issues if I have a custom DS made, correct? Also am I correct in thinking that the medium case will work on my 318i (small case) or do I also need new rear axles? Thanks guys!

Comment

Just found and grabbing on Monday a zf320 from an e36 328 and it’s differential... so two thoughts depending on ratio or conditions once I open it up for inspection. Could I purchase new gears for say a 3.15 LSD on eBay and swap the oem stuff out? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X