91 318is/ LS Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubesock View Post
    Does the CD009 fit in the transmission tunnel without hammering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, it looks to be smaller, here is a link that compares the two https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121...gine-in-a-s30/
    Last edited by Supadave; 01-15-2019, 11:45 AM.
    sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

E46 running a CD009 with an LS
      sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Supadave View Post
        Yes, it looks to be smaller, here is a link that compares the two https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121...gine-in-a-s30/
        That adapter is pretty cool.

Comment

Did y’all use the factory PS reservoir or something aftermarket? Will it work with the GM PS pump?

Comment

Just get the camaro accessories and run the pump and reservoir on that
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Never did post pictures of the car. Black right now but after the swap is done I’ll paint and make it look good. Working on the dash right now while my secret parts account builds away from the prying eyes of the wife.

Comment

That's a really clean looking car, should be a fun build.

Comment

Got to working on the dash. I didn’t want to flock it so I bought some Colorbond LVP refinisher, didn’t put any texture down so you can see where all the body filler went. I’ll use it as a base layer now and apply SEM texture coating then finish off with Dupli-color flat black vinyl paint. Hopefully that will bring back the OEM look.

Comment

Doing the wiring yourself isn't bad. Lots of patience. I hate wiring and had more time in my harness then I did in the rest of the car but, at the end of it I was very proficient at reading diagrams and i
                    I had saved $800.

I used a Mishimoto R32 radiator. No issues from me and I got it as a "returned" item off Amazon for 1/4 the price of a new one. It was brand new, unopened. Paired it with a Spal pusher fan and even on 100 degree days during in traffic, water temp never crossed 210.
                    Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                    '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                    Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                    1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                    Check us out
                    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Got to working on the dash. I didn’t want to flock it so I bought some Colorbond LVP refinisher, didn’t put any texture down so you can see where all the body filler went. I’ll use it as a base layer now and apply SEM texture coating then finish off with Dupli-color flat black vinyl paint. Hopefully that will bring back the OEM look.

Anyone in this thread ever tried white gorilla glue as a filler for this kind of split on the dash?

It comes out of the tube as a liquid, but foams and expands significantly as it cures. I've done non-cosmetic repairs to the forward center console foam with it.

Comment

Anybody using this Chase Bays brake option?
                        This is a Single Piston Brake Booster Delete, we also make an upgraded Dual Piston Brake Booster Delete with 6:1 Pedal Ratio...click here! Pedal Feel & Performance The best way to describe how your brakes will feel withour Brake Booster Eliminator (BBE) | Brake Booster Delete Kit is: 10-80% braking is about the sam

It looks nice, pricey but nice.

Still working on the dash, just got some SEM texture coating tonight and I’ll be applying it tomorrow. Also still waiting on the spacer kit to come in to install the Z3 steering rack.

Comment

Anybody using this Chase Bays brake option?
                          This is a Single Piston Brake Booster Delete, we also make an upgraded Dual Piston Brake Booster Delete with 6:1 Pedal Ratio...click here! Pedal Feel & Performance The best way to describe how your brakes will feel withour Brake Booster Eliminator (BBE) | Brake Booster Delete Kit is: 10-80% braking is about the sam

It looks nice, pricey but nice.

Still working on the dash, just got some SEM texture coating tonight and I’ll be applying it tomorrow. Also still waiting on the spacer kit to come in to install the Z3 steering rack.

Yes I’m running Chase Bays manual brakes. And yes you have to have a strong leg.

-Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Supadave View Post
                            Guys are using the CD009 (Nissan 350 transmission). You can find them for around $800 bucks used. Here is the adapter plate needed http://collinsadapters.com/index.php...ter-plate.html

CD009 Gear Ratios

T56 Gear Ratios 1996–1998 Camaro/Firebird (Ratios can be slightly different depending on donor)
                            The CD009 ratios are more like BMW ratios. With an LS, you'll probably want to find a 2.79 or 2.93 rear. The T56's work better with the rear gears that E30's were typically built with.

Comment

The texture coating was key, the dashboard came out great and I am more than satisfied with it. Patience was the next biggest contributor to the success, getting the filling and sanding right.

That’s just the texture coating.

I would definitely recommend the SEM texture coating to anyone looking to do this project. Easy to work with and great results.

I was deciding between the matte and gloss finish for the vinyl paint. Glad I went with gloss, I think it looks closer to OEM than the photos I’ve seen with matte.

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Working...
                                X