X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubesock
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick_08 View Post
    Hey man your welcome. I see now the picture you posted was at a weird angle and it looked a lot different than what you just showed. Looks like you will be real close but should be alright. I’ve got all LS1 accessories and it appears you have LS2 or something the pulleys sit closer to the engine. Which is nice.

What did you decide for brakes? If you wanna save $$ and if I could start over, I would go with massive’s master relocation which places it up and out. Keep your stock dual pot master and change the linkage ratio. Or did you buy the pedal kit? I don’t remember. Those are the best options aside from a ridiculous linkage booster relocation or hydro boost. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m trying the Chase Bays brake set up.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_08
    replied
    Hey man your welcome. I see now the picture you posted was at a weird angle and it looked a lot different than what you just showed. Looks like you will be real close but should be alright. I’ve got all LS1 accessories and it appears you have LS2 or something the pulleys sit closer to the engine. Which is nice.

What did you decide for brakes? If you wanna save $$ and if I could start over, I would go with massive’s master relocation which places it up and out. Keep your stock dual pot master and change the linkage ratio. Or did you buy the pedal kit? I don’t remember. Those are the best options aside from a ridiculous linkage booster relocation or hydro boost. Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• Tubesock
    replied
    Nick, thanks for the pictures, those are extremely helpful! As far as clearance in concerned, I “think” the intake will clear the reservoir and alternator.

Looking at the alternator clearing the hood, it sits just a bit lower than the intake manifold so again I “think” it’ll be good. We’ll see when I go to put the engine in the vehicle whether or not I made a bad call going with the Corvette high mount.

I got impatient looking for a trans so I bought brake parts and will be doing those this weekend. I’ll finally have some E30 picture for this thread and not just an engine on a stand.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_08
    replied
    91 318is/ LS Swap

Originally posted by Tubesock View Post

Just a thought, and to question your thought process. Have you thought about where your intake is going to be? Depending on how you do this, the radiator hose will be on one side and the alternator looks like it will block the other side now. Edit* hell I don’t know if your hood will clear that alternator...

For example...on my car the intake clears the PS pump pulley by maybe 3/4”. There is no way to go the other way due to the rad inlet. Your radiator choice may be key if you stick with that. Curious to see what you do.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    Also heard the gear ratios are better in the cd009 vs the t56. But no real hand experience.

Anybody know about this claim?
    CD009 is geared more like a BMW transmission, with a 3.7 first gear, a big RPM drop into 2nd gear, 5th gear direct and a ~0.8 top gear. That's not well suited for a large displacement engine that makes a ton of torque. The overall ratios can be helped with a tall rear end, but it'll always have the big RPM drop going into 2nd.

T56 ratios are what they are because that's what works well with big engines that make many torques, especially in light cars.

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    Measurement CD009
    Total length 40
    Face to output 29
    Face to trans mount center 27
    Rear box dimension 10w X 12h

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    Also heard the gear ratios are better in the cd009 vs the t56. But no real hand experience.

Anybody know about this claim?

Leave a comment:

• iansane
    replied
    Taylor Ray on youtube went over this idea as well. He said that initially yes, it may be more but if you were to need to replace the tranny it would then be much cheaper
    Replace the trans? Unless you grenade the case or something I can't see the need to replace instead of just rebuild/fix what broke. But, everyone has their preferences.

There’s actually one near me that’s already modified to fit an LS for $2000. Haven’t found any measurements of it with the Collins kit. I was to make sure it fits the stock hole for the shifter.
    I've bought a couple used t56s off ls1tech for about that. They usually come with clutch/shifter and a bunch of other parts for swaps that I don't need. But shipping ends up being between 150-250 on top depending on who they use. But hell, if that cd009 is close and it's what you want low ball the guy and go get it!

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    He replaced his motor, didn't think he replaced the tranny as well.
    yeah it was briefly skimmed over. I think he lost 5th on the first trans?

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    He replaced his motor, didn't think he replaced the tranny as well.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Taylor Ray on youtube went over this idea as well. He said that initially yes, it may be more but if you were to need to replace the tranny it would then be much cheaper
    Yeah, and he recently replaced his too, was cheap.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    Originally posted by iansane View Post
    I've seen this suggestion before but if an LS to cd009 adapter is an extra 5-800 depending on who you go through I don't know that it's that much better of an option?

Leave a comment:

• Tubesock
    replied
    Originally posted by iansane View Post
    I've seen this suggestion before but if an LS to cd009 adapter is an extra 5-800 depending on who you go through I don't know that it's that much better of an option?

There’s actually one near me that’s already modified to fit an LS for $2000. Haven’t found any measurements of it with the Collins kit. I was to make sure it fits the stock hole for the shifter.

Leave a comment:

• iansane
    replied
    Originally posted by Supadave View Post
    Have you thought about running the CD009? its a good trans for about half the price.

Leave a comment:

• Supadave
    replied
    Finding a reasonable T56 is really the biggest challenge so far. Found one 3 hours away and when I was getting ready to make the drive the guy messages me and says he just sold it. Holding off on getting the Sikky kit until I source the trans.

Have you thought about running the CD009? its a good trans for about half the price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X