No announcement yet.

91 318is/ LS Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah looks like you’re battling a little rust under there, I’m glad I didn’t have to fuss with replacing the hard-lines. What are you using for fuel line?

I’m running stock axles and have yet to break one. Probably because the tires don’t have enough grip but sorry no recommendations on upgrades there.

You should look into getting wheel studs...and always torque the lug bolts/nuts to spec. We’re all guilty of running em in tight with the impact.

You also should upgrade the bushings in the rear subframe/trailing arms since you have everything out of there.

Keep us posted. -Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Tubesock View Post
      While I was working on the rear, found both axle shafts are toast. I am not going to put them back in especially with the extra power coming. Any suggestions on axle shafts?
      Pricey but comes with peace of mind.

Comment

Been awhile everyone! I still have the E30 and have been slowly accumulating parts but this little guy has been the only thing I care about. So here’s an update, started cleaning up the engine bay and chassis harness. You can see the old stuff above the zip tie. I do have a question about all the ABS wires, can I just tape them up and call it good or do I need to trace them all the way back and pull them. I’m going to do the whole bay in Steel-it and tuck the wires behind the fender. Still working on grinding and cleaning the bay before I go all on with the Steel-it. Huge pile of parts to install. I think I’ve got everything I need except a driveshaft. I got the griffin radiator, wiring specialties plug and play harness, all new fuel lines, and a corvette filter. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just seeing your build thread for the first time. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
          91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

Got the subframe pulled and prepped for reinforcement. You can see how bad one of the motor mounts is cracked. While I was pulling the subframe I saw how bad my end links were and picked up some new ones. With everything out I decided to put on my Garagistic offset lollipops. Does anyone have advice on bottoming this thing out? I resorted to a BFG and wood but it’s not moving anymore. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's weird, it should just slide on. You don't wont it to be tight were it cant move. Are Both sides giving you the same problem?
              sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

I hadn’t tried the other side because I tore the boot on the knuckle ball joint but I just got the replacement. I wire wheeled the paint off the old and new one and was able to get them on. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I sure let this thread die but the LS/T56 is in, wired up, plumbed, and technically running and driving! Still have a lot of work left to do to get the M Pars to fit for full lock to lock.
                  My buddy Kevin helping me with the first attempt of dropping in the new drivetrain. Tried using the notched GTO pan, didn’t notch it enough, gave up and went with the Sikky oil pan. TBH idk if it was worth it, I’m still fighting leaks at the oil filter relocation.

It was a struggle but it went in! Wish I would’ve done the heater core hoses before dropping everything in, maybe an inch of space to work with. I also had to get different exhaust manifolds, the hookers didn’t work. I fit a set of LS3 manifolds that center dump, tight fit but they worked.
                  Griffin radiator with griffin lower brackets nut serted in and the BMW E30 upper mount. Haven’t tried putting the hood on yet so we’ll see if it fits like this when I do. I still have one more lower setting on the griffin mounts if it’s sitting too high.

Ran completely new fuel and brake lines.

Working on all the spaghettini. I got the Wiring Specialties harness, only issue I had was getting the chassis plug through the firewall hole, ended up cutting the hole bigger to fit through.
                  The harness came with 2 plugs to wire in fans, at first I was going to use 2x 10 inch fans but couldn’t fit them both on the griffin. I have 1 x 10 inch fan and a 7 inch fan. Still need to do more testing to see if they’re enough.

It’s always good to have help.

Not a lot of space. Right now I’ll have to take the oil filter bracket off every time I change the filter.

Late night first start!

You can see how tight the manifolds are here. Passenger side it touching the frame rails. For those of you considering do your own exhaust like I was, DONT! The steering shaft and sheer lack of space ultimately drove me to take it to a shop. For the first time someone other than me did work on Voldemort.

Flocked the dash, overall I’m happy. I had originally repaired with padded dash filler but it ended up re-cracking so I got the kit and flocked. Not a hard job, a few lessons learned, always add more adhesive. There are spots I didn’t have a thick enough layer and the fibers didn’t cover, which brings me to lesson 2, always buy more fibers than you think you’ll need. Final lesson, lay down drop cloths for clean up, I got fibers on everything.

Still working on getting full lock to lock steering. Cut into the wheel wells and added plates to keep grime out of the bay. Haven’t decided on which fender flares to go with, suggestions have all been use iX but idk if they’ll be enough. Plus looking at the valance, I’ll probably have to cut that too.
                  The valance is already touching the wheel.

Started putting headlights back on just to make sure I didn’t cut or ruin any wiring. Don’t hate on the intake setup and if you’re running Corvette accessories, don’t get the Sikky universal one. I’m waiting on a 4 inch to 3.5 inch 90 degree coupler an hopefully I can shorten that whole contraption enough to fit in the bay.

I’m really happy with how the interior is turning out. Condor shift and e brake boots look good, also their door cards are nice but take your time fitting them. I have a few areas where I had to bore out holes because I didn’t line everything up perfectly before drilling and nut serting. I also just ordered an OMP WRC-C with the M-Rain pattern that will replace the NRG as it becomes the passenger seat.

Comment

Your almost done! Keep up the good work.
                    sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

As is tradition the tag and title came in the mail AFTER I took him all apart to start paint prep. Such is life.

Originally I wanted to paint him British racing green but the paint for cars color turned out almost emerald which is way lighter than I wanted. Transitioned to their midnight blue, it’s very dark which I like but I’m not sure how I feel about it with the red brake calipers. What do y’all think?

Comment

Finally got Voldemort out for his maiden voyage to work. It went great, no over heating but I am having issues with power steering and a slight coolant leak.

I got my big duck club fenders in this week to so I’ll be painting and swapping over to those this weekend.

Comment

How's the build coming along?

Comment

Working...
                          X