Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    I changed the expansion valve. I'm thinking it's something with the custom lines I had made, maybe? I dunno. It's cooling off here so I'll probably ignore it until April 2022. Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Undiluted
    replied
    Did you by any change the expansion valve?

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Will check both of mine for comparison and post the results.
    Finally got around to checking discharge temp on my 12/88 production Touring.

After about 15 minutes it settled in at 47-48 degrees. Here's the fine print.

Ambient approx 78 degrees
    Car was fully warmed up but had not been sitting in the sun
    Fan speed 2
    Recirc on
    134a
    Reading taken from center vent
    Earlier this year I had the Seiko compressor rebuilt, upgraded the condenser and replaced all the lines under the hood, but did not touch anything inside the car.

Cory

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by tomstin View Post
    Is your auxiliary fan stock or aftermarket? When it comes on, does it blow the right way? When I installed my aftermarket, it came as a sucker, the directions had me reverse the blades AND reverse the wiring. I missed that second step, chased my tail for a very long time. About the 10th time I went through to verify EVERYTHING again I noticed the auxiliary fan was pulling air out versus pushing air through.
    Good double check. It's the stock fan. Since I had to remount on the new condenser I just checked, it's pushing air in the right direction. Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
    Recirc on. Fan speed at 2 Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    That's how I set mine when checking vent temps. Will check both of mine for comparison and post the results.

Leave a comment:

• tomstin
    replied
    Is your auxiliary fan stock or aftermarket? When it comes on, does it blow the right way? When I installed my aftermarket, it came as a sucker, the directions had me reverse the blades AND reverse the wiring. I missed that second step, chased my tail for a very long time. About the 10th time I went through to verify EVERYTHING again I noticed the auxiliary fan was pulling air out versus pushing air through.

Leave a comment:

• 808ETA
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
    Well I thought they would have to pull a vacuum since it was a whole new system. But maybe not? They said they checked pressures but does that mean they just filled it and see the right pressure? I will call them and ask but they may just say they pulled vacuum when they didn't. Might be worth taking somewhere else. Or going turbo and deleting the AC 🤔 Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, when they pulled the vacuum they confirmed that it wasn't leaking.

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by 808ETA View Post
    Did they pull a vacuum and recharge or just fill it up? After I did my conversation the 1st shop I took it to filled it using a bottle and gauges but it still didn’t get cold. 2nd shop pulled vacuum and recharged using a recharging machine. My temps are now in the low 40’s.
    Well I thought they would have to pull a vacuum since it was a whole new system. But maybe not? They said they checked pressures but does that mean they just filled it and see the right pressure? I will call them and ask but they may just say they pulled vacuum when they didn't. Might be worth taking somewhere else. Or going turbo and deleting the AC 🤔 Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cory58 View Post
    Just for reference, do you have the recirc on when checking the vent temp? What is the fan speed?
    Recirc on. Fan speed at 2 Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 808ETA
    replied
    Did they pull a vacuum and recharge or just fill it up? After I did my conversation the 1st shop I took it to filled it using a bottle and gauges but it still didn’t get cold. 2nd shop pulled vacuum and recharged using a recharging machine. My temps are now in the low 40’s.

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Just for reference, do you have the recirc on when checking the vent temp? What is the fan speed?

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    No luck. Was 106 today and even with the aux fan on high my AC vent temp didn't change. Stayed at 60. Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    OK making some progress. I tested the external intake vents. Put some plastic over them. With recirc off the plastic gets sucked tight, recirc on the plastic is loose as could be. So no external air causing hotter AC. Next, checked aux fan. Looks like a PO replaced the radiator connector so I can't see the wire colors. See attached picture. If I jumper 1&3 I get low speed. If I jumper 2&3 I hear a click in the relay but the fan doesn't move. Looks like no high speed! So I'll start searching for that fix now. Edit: just swapped K1 and K6 relays and both low and high speed work. I'll see my temp tomorrow when we hit 106. Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hoffbrohaus; 09-13-2021, 09:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ADEN
    replied
    [QUOTE=Hoffbrohaus;n10028877]

How do I check that? turn recirc on, fan on 4 and feel the vents outside by the windshield for suction? (I'll try when I get home from work)

Just seal them temporarily with anything and check if the vents reading any cooler. small amount of outside warm air can increase ac vent temp.

stock fan starts at low speed with the ac on unless the rad. temp reached 105c then it will go high speed this is not going to help ac in high ambient temperatures. Try to bypass the temp switch in radiator( 3-wire connector) by using a jumper wire to activate the high speed or jumber wire from the low speed fuse to the high speed fuse (google) and see if this helps.

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    TX valve = expansion valve. so yer sounds like you changed it. sadly you will only really be able to rule out mechanical issues with the gauge set. suprised the shop let it go if its not cold?

I must admit that i had to dodgy the wiring in my car and the aux fan just runs whenever the AC is on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X