• Show
Clear All

Calling the water drain experts!

Hello everyone!

First details on the car:

1988 325is
    M20
    five speed
    I think thats all you need to know for this problem....

I spent all yesterday reading over the threads on water leaks and taking my car apart to find mine. The good news is, I did in fact find it! Mine is coming from the cowl / Fresh air vent on the divers side. You know, the vent that has the wiper coming out of it... I have ruled out every other possible trouble area mentioned here in other threads. including that pesky foam seal in there that is impossible to replace.

Well I have taken that vent / inlet out as well as my blower motor cover on the firewall. I have enough room to work in there now, but i wanted to clear a few things up before i start sealing stuff up.

The water is entering the divers side footwell through the seam of the firewall and cowl.. Basicly the lowest point in the area of the divers side. It looks like there is a couple of rust pin holes in the seam. When looking at the front of the vehicle, i can pour water into the now removed vent and it will run to the right... TOWARD THE DRIVERS SIDE FENDER. and then into my foot well... I cannot see exactly where it enters the cabin because once it runs so far right, it goes under metal that is folded up in there.

My question is, Is the elephant truck drain the only way water exits this area? (Entire front cowl section)? I've located that on the passeneger side and it is all clear. I can dump tons of water on theat side, no problems. Or is there some sort of drain on the drivers side as well? If there is, I cant find it. I want to be sure there isn't a drain towards that drivers side fender where i cannot see..

I just want to be sure when i pump the drivers side full of sealant I don't block anything I shouldn't..

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Chris.

1988 325is - Track Toy
    1986 325e - Daily Driver

Lovin the e30's
Working...
X