Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SlamedIAm
    replied
    I would start by getting your alternator/battery checked out because its free and relatively quick to do. The grounds in the engine bay are fairly easy to access as well you'll really only need to remove the AFM. There is a good chance the lower ground by the oil pain ias heavily corroded/losing its insulation. Mine was pretty gnarly so I replaced it with one from Gregs///M.

If yours isn't in too bad of shape you can at least clean it up while you're there.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    ^ But for some reason, my car still starts! :(

Leave a comment:

• uturn
    replied
    Classic bad alternator leading to a drained battery.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    started a topic HELP! Bad Alternator, or Regulator?

HELP! Bad Alternator, or Regulator?

Hey guys. Get in my car tonight and notice that my interior lights were dimmer than usual. Shrugged it off, and started driving home.

Once on the freeway, I notice that they are getting VERY dim, to the point that I can't read the OBC, and barely see the instrument gauges.

Then the ABS warning light comes on.
    Then the warning light to the left of the fog-light light comes on.
    Then the stereo starts flickering, then shuts off by itself.
    Then my headlights start flickering.

Then 2 minutes later the warning lights go away, dash lights get bright, and the radio comes back on. 5 minutes later, it gets dimmer again, then I get home.

What's do you guys think is going on? Bad ground somewhere?
    I don't think it's the alternator, because revving the engine doesn't effect the brightness/dimness.

Before all this happened, I drove through a puddle and had to park in a muddy lot. A friend tells me M20 cars have grounding wires below.
    This car is a 91' 318i with an m42...is it the same on these cars?

Would appreciate all the help you guys have. Thanks!

Sina
Working...
X