Starter Relay works intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    If you're not worried about whether the car tries to start if it's not in park, you could bypass the starter relay like we do for manual swaps?

I had the same issue as you after a manual swap, and just replaced the whole wire from the steering column to the starter and have never had a problem since. That circuit can be a pain to diagnose. I did this after I'd replaced the starter, so I knew it was good.

Here's my post on it:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...0&postcount=46

All cars are wired as manual, then the automatic "loop" is added to implement the starter relay. All you have to do is move the black/yellow wire from the automatic harness loop directly to the key switch connector. It's a matter of unplugging the two wires, and plugging one back in. This negates the auto harness and even makes it so the cruise control works...

Here's the explanation with pics:

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'll probably end up doing this but instead of from the ignition switch i'll hook it up to the C241 since it already comes out of the relay with a connector. Thanks so much for the input! Shoulda done this from the get go lol

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        All cars are wired as manual, then the automatic "loop" is added to implement the starter relay. All you have to do is move the black/yellow wire from the automatic harness loop directly to the key switch connector. It's a matter of unplugging the two wires, and plugging one back in. This negates the auto harness and even makes it so the cruise control works...

Here's the explanation with pics:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...81&postcount=8
        This so far has fixed the issue! Thank you so much! Legit this was the only lingering problem I've had with the car. Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X