318is running hot in standing traffic

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PeaveyBassist
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeE30325i
    my car has no fan but somehow doesnt get hot in traffic anymore. when i am moving it is right at the 1/4 mark, and when i sit for around 5 moniutes now it starts to slowly climb. but not that quickly. your fan is probably broken. and a 32mm wrench and a good big pair of vice grips will do the trick. it is reverse thread so no more "righty tighty" shit.
    Thermostat.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    replied
    As it turns out, I had most of the cooling system worked on. I took it to a small shop nearby that I trust. They thought the fan clutch was "weak", that the thermostat didn't warm up the engine properly, and that the belts were cracked and should be replaced. Since I'd been putting off some of these things (the belts were about 6 years and 100k miles old) I had them do all that including a system flush (for the radiator), the mechanic said there was corrosion in/around the t-stat so it was good to do it.

    I don't do stuff like this myself anymore cause I can't have the car out of action for days/weeks. Now the temp. moves up to just under 1/2 and stays there like it's supposed to. Peace of mind.

    She should be good up to 250k miles, at least, now.

    Leave a comment:


  • sepehr
    replied
    Have the same problem, my fan clutch is out.

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    replied
    You didn't have to remove any hoses or belts and drain/refill the radiator?

    <<Edit>> I looked at it today and at least the fan cover and the top hose have to come off.<</Edit>>
    Last edited by RH318is; 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BrandC
    replied
    Vice grips and a 2 lbs. dead-blow hammer. That will do the trick. It took me literally 4 minutes to remove and replace the fan clutch.

    Leave a comment:


  • porsche gt1
    replied
    Originally posted by FifeDog236
    Fan clutch me thinks. 30 minute job with the right wrench as mentioned.

    I love holding my 32mm wrench, it feels like a weapon

    Leave a comment:


  • AdironRider
    replied
    Fan clutch me thinks. 30 minute job with the right wrench as mentioned.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeE30325i
    replied
    my car has no fan but somehow doesnt get hot in traffic anymore. when i am moving it is right at the 1/4 mark, and when i sit for around 5 moniutes now it starts to slowly climb. but not that quickly. your fan is probably broken. and a 32mm wrench and a good big pair of vice grips will do the trick. it is reverse thread so no more "righty tighty" shit.

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    replied
    That seems to be the response, 1/4 while driving and moving higher when stopped. I just scheduled a cooling system flush for Monday, so I'll have them check out the fan clutch. Besides the basic tune up/oil change stuff I can't do much DIY stuff, so I usually take it to a pro.

    BTW, she just passed 217k miles and still runs great. Hoping to get 250k out of her.

    Leave a comment:


  • porsche gt1
    replied
    Originally posted by RH318is
    Ok, drove it normally yesterday and this was the response. On city streets and freeway driving it actually ran cool staying at the 1/4 mark. When I exited on a freeway off ramp and went up and over an overpass stopping at the stop sign on the other side of the freeway the temp. had risen to close to that normal spot of just under the 1/2 mark. When I stopped at stop lights it would move toward the 1/2 mark. Didn't go over 1/2 mark all day, but I was never still for more than a long stop light.

    I wonder if the t-stat is working with it running at 1/4 while the car is moving?? Someone else also mentioned the radiator thing. I'll try to paper towel test, but what's the consensus on what to start with? I'm tempted to start with the cooling system flush? Your opinions?

    Thanks.
    Yeah sounds like fan clutch has seized. It tends to lock itself at one speeds so when you are driving and your Tstat opens you run at 1/4 temp. if you idle for a long time it should overheat.

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    Originally posted by RH318is
    cooling system flush?
    part of good preventative maintenance.

    .

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    replied
    Ok, drove it normally yesterday and this was the response. On city streets and freeway driving it actually ran cool staying at the 1/4 mark. When I exited on a freeway off ramp and went up and over an overpass stopping at the stop sign on the other side of the freeway the temp. had risen to close to that normal spot of just under the 1/2 mark. When I stopped at stop lights it would move toward the 1/2 mark. Didn't go over 1/2 mark all day, but I was never still for more than a long stop light.

    I wonder if the t-stat is working with it running at 1/4 while the car is moving?? Someone else also mentioned the radiator thing. I'll try to paper towel test, but what's the consensus on what to start with? I'm tempted to start with the cooling system flush? Your opinions?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by RH318is; 10-13-2006, 08:50 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • AdamF 88iS
    replied
    Originally posted by Funkmasta
    good point. But if the rad is THAT clogged, the engine will really overheat quickly.
    My brother's car had a radiator that was clogged enough for it to get hot in traffic but run fine while moving. There is a grey area.

    Better to start with a $75 fan clutch, then try the $300 radiator...
    Can't argue with that, though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Funkmasta
    replied
    good point. But if the rad is THAT clogged, the engine will really overheat quickly.
    Better to start with a $75 fan clutch, then try the $300 radiator...

    Leave a comment:


  • AdamF 88iS
    replied
    Originally posted by porsche gt1
    If you have a low coolant level or a plugged rad it would overheat while driving.
    Not always. Low level and blockage can be masked while moving with the rpms up. I've had a few customers with this happen to them.

    Furthermore, if the radiator is clogged the fan clutch will fail your paper towel tube test no matter what. If the center of the rad doesn't get hot the fan clutch will never hook up.

    Leave a comment:

Working...