318is running hot in standing traffic

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lordofthewaters
    replied
    :up:

    Leave a comment:


  • Funkmasta
    replied
    Originally posted by lordofthewaters
    I agree, another easy way to test is to take a paper towel tube and cautiously stick it into the fan while the engine is running. If it doesn't tear the tube to pieces, it is the fan
    *with the engine warm*
    :)

    Leave a comment:


  • lordofthewaters
    replied
    Originally posted by redhatpat
    Sounds like the fan clutch is failing. Check it for how stiff it is to turn while off, and how easy it is to stop with the engine idling. Use a rolled up newspaper to stop the blade. A good fan clutch shouldn't get stopped by the newspaper at idle.

    I had the exact same symptoms, and it was the fan clutch.
    I agree, another easy way to test is to take a paper towel tube and cautiously stick it into the fan while the engine is running. If it doesn't tear the tube to pieces, it is the fan

    Leave a comment:


  • porsche gt1
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
    You only replace the clutch in the center of the fan. Teh plastic blades are reusable.

    Beware, this problem can also be caused by poor coolant circulation due to low fluid level or a clogged radiator.
    If it is only when you are idling at a stop. Then you have a 90% chance that it is your fan clutch. I have heard of it being your thermostat in about 1 in ten cases.

    If you have a low coolant level or a plugged rad it would overheat while driving.

    Leave a comment:


  • AdamF 88iS
    replied
    Originally posted by RH318is
    Is the clutch/fan one piece, do you replace the whole fan? Any idea what the cost is?
    You only replace the clutch in the center of the fan. Teh plastic blades are reusable.

    Beware, this problem can also be caused by poor coolant circulation due to low fluid level or a clogged radiator.

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    replied
    Is the clutch/fan one piece, do you replace the whole fan? Any idea what the cost is?

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    here's a link to a DIY site - this guy's using a pair of vice-grips


    .

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    Originally posted by RH318is
    what's involved with fixing that? easy/hard?
    i believe it requires (or is recommended) to get a slim 32mm headset wrench from a bicycle shop to get fan off.

    reversed threads.
    get wrench on and smack w/ hammer.

    do some searching on other techniques..

    mostly a bitch but do-able.

    .

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    replied
    what's involved with fixing that? easy/hard?

    Leave a comment:


  • redhatpat
    replied
    Sounds like the fan clutch is failing. Check it for how stiff it is to turn while off, and how easy it is to stop with the engine idling. Use a rolled up newspaper to stop the blade. A good fan clutch shouldn't get stopped by the newspaper at idle.

    I had the exact same symptoms, and it was the fan clutch.

    Leave a comment:


  • RH318is
    started a topic 318is running hot in standing traffic

    318is running hot in standing traffic

    Today, for the first time as I hit some thick standing traffic, the temp. needle passed the 1/2 mark and got close to 3/4. The air temp was in the upper 70s and I mean I could see the needle moving. It happen mostly at a dead stop, when I could move a couple car lengths forward I could see the needle moved back close to the 1/2 mark. The t-stat was replaced about 3 years ago with an M3 model. Driving at any speed brought the temp. back to or close to normal. I also replaced the water pump about 6 years ago.

    When I was able I checked the fan and it was spinning. One thing came to mind, a couple months ago (probably some time during the summer) I checked the fluid level in the plastic contain on the left side of the radiator. I opened it and added a little water.

    (Don't have the facilities or experience to do it myself), so I'm thinking about taking it in for a cooling system flush. Any suggestions/comments on what else could be going bad or simple things I can do myself to test?
Working...