Help: Lighting Issue ~ Blowing Fuse Constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Lighting Issue ~ Blowing Fuse Constantly

I had a light issue where with the headlights on the running lights and dash lights wouldnt work, and with the switch in running light position everything worked correct (so at night with the headlights on, nothing else was on while driving)

Checked the switch, wasnt that, found a fuseable link blown under there, fixed that and voi la problem solved, so I thought..

Now although the settings work on the switch, so running light setting all running lights work and dash lights, in the night position for headlights, the dash lights and half the running lights/markers DON'T work (predominantly the passenger side). I noticed FUSE 23 keeps blowing, replace it and all lights work again, but after leaving the car once or twice (ie. go in , come back out to go out again) on start up you'll find same lighting problem, Rear Lights dot light up on Check Panel and FUSE 23 blown.

Any ideas what is going on??? Thanks In advance.
    Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a short in the front turn signals. weird. But start at the obvious places there could be shorts I.E. taillights, parking lights.
    harry/harout

Comment

^ Thats exactly what I thought it is. I actually have a bit of reason to think its in the front too, but will check all.

Thanks for the input.
      Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Comment

In my case it was frayed wires under the dash hitting one of the control modules just behind the light switch.
        what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

So I checked for split or exposed wires in the side markers and rear lights but didnt see anything, most still had the rubber enclosure protecting the wires. Also didnt really see anything out of the ordinary under the dash, but Im not a electrician so ?? I think I will look around a bit further and if not just have to call up the mechanic

Comment

mine keeps blowing fuse 21. my tach and dash lights dont work and the wiring diagram shows 21 as being for the tach and dash lights among other things. i can put a new fuse in and as soon as i turn on the lights, it blows. ive noticed that my front markers dont work so. now that ive read this i may have a lead on my short as well.....

Comment

K, so Ive figured something else out that might help the diagnosis. I drove for the past week or so straight with the light switch always in the fully in position (as in, never moved it at all, even during the day, just left the headlights on) and the everything has worked fine, fuse never blew. As soon as I pulled the switch out to the third position is when I would blow the fuse (sometimes immediately, somestimes after some time) but the fact is it didnt happen in the other positions.

Does that help any of the electrical guru's assist me with my diagnosis??

Again, Thanks in Advance.

Comment

Working...
              X