Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt Door Lock Won’t Turn

Gents,

I’ve gone through the door lock rebuild steps and completed rebuilding, or more accurately building a new, door lock. Before I put the lock back in the car I decided to make sure I could twist the key left and right and unfortunately it would not move left or right. I’ve knocked the dowel pin back out and removed parts at the end of the assembly to test which part of the lock was jamming up. Turns out the main housing itself. (See arrows on below picture. I’m showing the old lock but the problem is with the new. Though the old lock only will rotate right, not left, with the same test).

Double checked the tumblers/metal wafers and they all retract inward, which would have been necessary to even put the lock together, so I’m not sure why it doesn’t rotate.

I took out the trunk lock to check the tumbler numbers thinking that perhaps the door lock wasn’t original (although it looked old and was the ball bearing design, not the updated roller bearing). Trunk lock, which worked both in the car and also allowed me to spin the key while holding the housing, had the same tumbler order. (Now I’ll need a new button for the trunk lock as I fubured mine up pretty good taking it apart, sigh).

Only think I can think of is that the key, which is not oem, is worn out. But, it still works the ignition and trunk lock so I’m hesitant to buy a new oem key. Anyone have any insight on this?

Working...
X