Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 not starting/cutting out

Hey,

So ive been having this issue with my 325 for a little while, it started out as random power cuts, seemed to happen more often when I was turning to the left for some reason. They started happening more and more, ill be going around a corner or something and the car would cut power ad then jump forward a bit when my power would come back.

However recently, the car just doesn't want to start. It will crank over but doesnt seem to be getting fuel, so I sprayed some start fluid and it started up.

Im thing its the fuel pressure regulator wanted some other opinions before I started buying parts.

Thanks

Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, and fuel pump are some points I would check out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dawskip
      Dawskip commented
      Editing a comment
      I pulled out the pump and tested it, worked fine hooked right up to a battery so I don’t believe it’s that. I’ll check the relay and if that’s not it I’m guessing fuel pressure regulator

Random power cuts are usually attributed to failing CPS sensor or AFM, assuming you have done good maintenance to your fuel and ignition system.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Sounds like a CPS...Crank Position Sensor sends a permission signal to the ECU letting it know that the engine is rotating and to turn on the fuel flow so the engine can start. If the ECU doesn't hear from the CPS, when the starter motor is turning the engine it won't send a signal to turn the fuel pump on.

Jump the fuel pump first, if you have fuel at the rail, your FP is good. Check for spark, if you have spark, the CPS is the next thing to rule out.
      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
      -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Test the CPS and let us know what the rating is.
        Also, just make sure that it isn't gunked.
        20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

I would start with the crank position sensor

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
          X