• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CurrusDei
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

Good to know!
    do you know if they went to base metal or did they only go to the primer level?
    The shop I was referring to above, insists that they won't warranty their paint work unless they are able to strip it to the base metal.
    Opinions differ, but we did not sand to bare metal because my shop said that the primer on the E30 M3 is new enough that it is bonded to the car from the factory better than they could recreate if they sanded to bare metal.
    The argument for not sanding to bare metal is that the new primer and paint will adhere to the factory primer better than it would to bare metal. This does not apply to older cars.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by CurrusDei View Post

Yeh it didnt end up costing $8k. Closer to $13k and thats before accounting for paint correction and PPF
    Good to know!
    do you know if they went to base metal or did they only go to the primer level?
    The shop I was referring to above, insists that they won't warranty their paint work unless they are able to strip it to the base metal.

Leave a comment:

• CurrusDei
    replied
    OP, do you have the specs on the dolly your shop made for you?
    I dont, but you could go with a dolly instead and use the front and rear mounting points, or just do what we did and use a tape measure and some lumber.

Leave a comment:

• CurrusDei
    replied

$8k?!
    Recently (two days ago) I was laughed out of a reputable shop that works on Jag e types, 60's Ferrari's etc. when I offered them 15kCAD for similar work

Another reason why Canada sucks!
    Yeh it didnt end up costing $8k. Closer to $13k and thats before accounting for paint correction and PPF

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied

$8k?!
    Recently (two days ago) I was laughed out of a reputable shop that works on Jag e types, 60's Ferrari's etc. when I offered them 15kCAD for similar work

There's a huge range in paint jobs, quality, what you are getting, also where you are in the country. A shop I work with is quoting $20k for complete surfacing and paint labor and materials, single stage glasurit, Linex underside, all small parts included. Depending on what you are really getting $15k canadian from a shop that does eTypes and vintage Ferrari quality work (!!!) might be a slap in the face to them.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    OP, do you have the specs on the dolly your shop made for you?

Leave a comment:

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied

Including all body work (various dents and dings), new hood, new undercoating, paint and primer, wetsanding, etc I'm looking at about $8K.

This is for it to be perfect and have a lifetime guarantee on the paint.

I got a few quotes around $4-5k for a mask & spray, but heard so many horror stories about resprays gone wrong from "hey i know a guy" referrals or run of the mill collision shops that I went with a premium shop for a bare chassis full workup. Not saying your guys quoting you are bad (I dont know them obviously), but the stories i heard involved having to re-respray, work not holding up after re-assembly, clear mismatches from stock, ridiculous paint thicknesses, etc. The paint is so key to the result and i did so much work tearing it down that I went with gross overkill.
    $8k?!

Leave a comment:

• RobE30
    replied
    Wow. That turned out great!

Leave a comment:

• CurrusDei
    replied
    Scarlett (what I'm calling her now) got to stretch her legs at Petit LeMans this year. Now i have to take all the tires off to get the klag/OPR out of the treads, but it was worth it!

Got to share her with some other enthusiasts too - lots of fun.

Leave a comment:

• columbo_01
    replied
    My dream car. Really.

Leave a comment:

• BMG
    replied

I found an OE branded one (not "genuine BMW") - so far it works well. Still need to straighten out some compressor wiring.

On the fuse decals, I worked with Pukar Designs to design them. I think he can still do them

Cheers. I just checked again and it seems BMW are now selling an electric fan for the M3 again. It was NLA for a long time. Price is 363 Euro

Leave a comment:

• 0-60Motorsports
    replied
    Amazing update, the car looks stunning! I cant believe BMW with that new AC Bracket design, Someone should just recreate the older bracket and sell them.

Leave a comment:

• CurrusDei
    replied
    Ok we're overdue for an update. Long slow progress, but the car is now done except for figuring out what's off with my compressor wiring (AC compressor kicks on then off quickly)

Anyways, here's the good stuff

Mr Stratton's handiwork...

Back.

Zinc'd all hardware and powdercoated the factory AC bracket

There's no comparison for robustness between the two (new style on the right, now a paperweight). Also notice the 2 &1/2 bolts between the two? Thats the hardware FROM BMW - one bolt cracked in half without me touching it. Not an over-tighten, sheared off bolt, it split while i was driving the car. Thankfully i didnt Loctite it and the threads were all clean - it backed out easily with finger pressure on the shattered edge. I think BMW must have outsourced the production of these things to China or something. The quality is unbelievably bad.

Compressor on and connected.

Had to get back in here to deal with some blower cage rattle and my wipers refusing to turn off. Trimmed a bit on the blower motor housing to give the hamster cages more clearance and the wipers fixed themselves when i unplugged/replugged them.

My paint protection film guys did paint correction on the newly painted hood and fender (both were cured in an oven, so they were good to polish right away), applied the xpel film, ceramic coated the glass, and then took some glamour shots...

Leave a comment:

• CurrusDei
    replied
    Originally posted by BMG View Post
    The electric rad fan from eBay, was this a used item
    I found an OE branded one (not "genuine BMW") - so far it works well. Still need to straighten out some compressor wiring.

On the fuse decals, I worked with Pukar Designs to design them. I think he can still do them

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    We were in the Stella E30 at the Champ car NCM event watching your alls car burn :(

Glad you all are getting it rolling again.

It was cool seeing the M3 at vintage!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X