Affordable e36 m3 Control Arms DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
    All out of my old thread following you linked post. For such old news, you're surely filled with uncertainty and doubt.
    My bad, I thought that anyone understands that it can be done from my writing. I've done that such repair to e36 m3 arm first time at year 2001 so I certainly did know it was doable, good thing that everyone knows it now.

And what goes to aluminiun arms, there is a small risk of shattering the metal while pressing, be careful and enjoy.
    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
      HM, interesting, I'm not sure how they do it, but if it works, I'd love to figure it out.

I am also trying to figure out a way make a solid steel plate that would allow use of e30 control arms. Machine shop could possibly machine them fairly cheap. Something to consider.
      Look into it.

I probably won't be able to go 5-lug until winter. Right now I'm just researching costs of E36 M3 vs E30 M3, since I already have coilovers.

If I didn't, I'd just buy the GC E36/E30 kit. They gave me a price yesterday of $1699 with the inserts/shocks valved for the E30 and the struts, etc etc.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        Look into it.

I probably won't be able to go 5-lug until winter. Right now I'm just researching costs of E36 M3 vs E30 M3, since I already have coilovers.

If I didn't, I'd just buy the GC E36/E30 kit. They gave me a price yesterday of $1699 with the inserts/shocks valved for the E30 and the struts, etc etc.
        You can probably do it cheaper with Gutted '96+ M3 Strut Housings and Koni SA Inserts, but it won't be as nice. The E36 M3 Koni Inserts are around $190 a piece and the E30 rear Konis SA (bottom adjustable) are around $110 a piece.

The GC E30 basic coilover kit (2.5") is usable on the E36 M Strut housings, but is a little loose. I used Teflon tape to keep the fitment tight which works fine. I will be making proper sleeves this winter, but it was basically to keep the coilover perch from wobbling when there was no load on them, but are fine when assembled and on the ground.

Hope this makes sense.
        Originally posted by BillBrasky
        E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
        1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
        1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
        1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
        2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Ive still yet to find a set of these control arms for anything less than 75 w/o shipping. No way the dealers trying to give even there trash away for free. Anyone have any good sourced for these?
          90 m20is

Comment

Just finding a dealer that even replaces control arms on E36's has got to be tough lately..
            I work at BMW cleveland and NEVER see this sort of thing. I did post earlier in this thread that I had a pass side arm, but that was coming out of my friends E36 and he ended up tossing it

I didwork on a z3 the other day that was in who knows what kind of accident, and it had bent the lower drivers arm in a way that caused the top of the lower balljoint to tilt rearward. his tire was sitting about 2 inches foward compared to the other side of the car.
            Soooo, I know that heating control arms and bending them isnt such a good idea (but why anyway?) , but couldnt you just tweak the arms, and just oil quench them to cool them once you get them where you want them? the prob i guess is setting up a jig with the proper measurements to do this

Comment

MZ3 Control arms work too, part numbers are 465 and 466, but new ones are same part number as 96+ e36 m3.

Dealer probably doesn't see many of these, but don't tell me you can't find anyone in the area that tracks an e36 m3. Find out who races, from which shops. Between local shops, I can probably find a set every month.
              Last edited by Aptyp; 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

yeah get yourself in the loop and spare parts will start flying i guess.

My E30 has the Mz3 arms in it.
                the car I worked on was not an M-car. it had the normal press in balljoints just like 325's

Comment

Ill keep truckin. I guess I gotta work my way into the social pipelines. If anyone findsa source, post it up.
                  90 m20is

Comment

Working...
                  X