e46 front strut/arm/knuckle setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 front strut/arm/knuckle setup

has anyone tried fitting an entire front corner from a e46M onto an e30?

I know the front Aluminum A arms are done by some (and akg sells adaptive bushings for them)

but if the arm bolts on; the E46 tie rod end can be bolted to whatever rack desired

(our race E30 has a e46/z4 rack currently with e36 tie rod end to use with e30 strut and hub)

IF the Tie rod end/ steering rack is e46, the e46 hub will mate with it properly
    if the e46 aluminum lower A arm is used then a e46 knuckle will also fit perfectly (although might be in very wrong place for an e30)

a E46 front coilover setup is easily adapted to e30 top hat with a phone call to ground control.

just wondering if this idear of frankensteining has been tried (and if it will do similar to the e36m 5 lug effect)

the e46 has the shock slip fit into the knuckle; its more similar to an e30 setup in mechanism than a e36 is (IMO)
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

I'm sure you're onto something. I run the none-M e46 arms with SLR adjustable CABs on my e30. I think the only think you need to keep in mine is how wide your track will be. The none-M are a good inch further than the e36m, and the e46m push even more.

I have seen a comparison pictures floating around, I tried finding it but no luck. I do Like your idea though, no super bulky e36m knuckle, better brake options.
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Thinking there was an Australian or a South African that weld in both front and rears. Think it was on Bimmerfest.com
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
        Thinking there was an Australian or a South African that weld in both front and rears. Think it was on Bimmerfest.com
        He did the rear like that. e46 should all bolt right up in front, just have to deal with wide track width and excessive camber created by it.
        sigpic

Comment

The suspension geometry will be all messed up like it is when doing E36 suspension swaps. It would be even more difficult to get proper geometry than the E36 because you could not easily make a new strut tube at a different angle since it slips in and is not bolted on.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

There are 2 versions at least of e46 non m arms then there are e46m arms also.

Between those its quite possible to have a better 5 lug /brake solution than the current e36m3 partsbit setup from a 96-98.

Why spend premium on weird low run production high cost and heavy arms when e46 aluminum arms new are dime a dozen new aftermarket?

Im just talking math for consumption (wheel 2 wheel racing needs lots of spares)
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I have the Meyle HD arms on mine. You need adjustable Lcabs like you stated to correct the caster, other than that it should be fine.
              sigpic

Comment

need to revive this again , any updates on this ?

Comment

The e46m lower control arms are designed to work with the aluminum brace under the engine. The ball joints bolt through it. Not a bad thing but something additional to deal with. The z4m may be a better choice as they use sport package non m e46 control arms and offset bushings like the e30m & early e36m.

Comment

How close are the E46M arms to E36 96+ geometry? Yes, extra Camber, But what about that caster?
                    Last edited by moatilliatta; 07-26-2018, 09:48 AM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                    X