Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the link is up again. I kind of forgot to keep up with my website. Sorry.
    http://www.extradrei.com/?p=141

Comment

Error establishing a database connection

Comment

Can someone tell me what are reasons for converting to 5 lug? I’m an e30 newb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark89 View Post
          Can someone tell me what are reasons for converting to 5 lug? I’m an e30 newb.
          For me, it allowed me to fit some bigger brakes (e38 Brembo) as well as opened up the options for rims I can fit - however, I would say it's probably going to end up costing me around $2k AUD for the whole process (new hubs, discs, pads, callipers etc) it's a false economy if you think it will get you cheaper wheels which some people use as their rationale

Comment

This thread is old but my opinion still hasn't changed. You can get bigger brakes for 4 lugs that are both better and lighter than anything from the factory. Stock 5 lug brakes are heavy and typically they aren't nearly as stiff as aftermarket. Unless you find some free E30 M3 suspension or something, or really really have to have a set of 5 lug wheels, I don't see the point.

It will likely cost more for the 5-lug bits than just buying a BBK and different wheels for a 4-lug suspension. Either that or you end up spending a bunch of time fussing around with random bits pieced together to make it work with stock E30 hubs.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              This thread is old but my opinion still hasn't changed. You can get bigger brakes for 4 lugs that are both better and lighter than anything from the factory. Stock 5 lug brakes are heavy and typically they aren't nearly as stiff as aftermarket. Unless you find some free E30 M3 suspension or something, or really really have to have a set of 5 lug wheels, I don't see the point.

It will likely cost more for the 5-lug bits than just buying a BBK and different wheels for a 4-lug suspension. Either that or you end up spending a bunch of time fussing around with random bits pieced together to make it work with stock E30 hubs.
              What else is out there thats decent besides Massive?

His 300x32 kit for the front and rear is a minimum of ~$1400 not including the cost of the calipers. The IE kits are not available in a blank rotor format and that would run around $2k plus.
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

5 lug swaps with proper geometry will probably cost you more than $2000, and the consumables will be more expensive too.

and let's be real, most E30s don't even need larger brakes. You'd be better served with some ducting and aggressive compounds, but that doesn't look cool either. :p
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  5 lug swaps with proper geometry will probably cost you more than $2000, and the consumables will be more expensive too.

and let's be real, most E30s don't even need larger brakes. You'd be better served with some ducting and aggressive compounds, but that doesn't look cool either. :p
                  With the S54 that I swapped in... I need a bit more surface area to slow the beast down now. I haven't done any track events yet but it feels a bit inadequate with the 280x22 massive bbk that I have up front.

The sleeve kits are intriguing to me though. You keep all of the existing main hardware... just open up to a 5lug wheel, brake calipers and pads. I do agree that an aftermarket caliper is going to be less expensive over the long run. The difference in pad cost is tremendous.
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                  X