Rear Toe In problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Toe In problem

So i just picked up a '88 325is and it has h&r race springs and bilstein shocks i drove it back from california to toronto, ontario and by the time i got to indianapolis i needed to buy new tires on the rear of the car. When i started my journey the tires had at least 85% life left on them and the original owner had not had them long. they look like they have alot of toe in and i do not know how to fix this, yes i have used the search button. also when i go past 50 mph the wheel has a vibration and im pretty sure it is coming from the rear. when i got new tires the tech told me that its a simple fix to get more toe out but he didnt have the part available right away. help????

The tech LIED. There is no adjustments on the rear of an E30...none.

There are adjustable eccentric trailing arm bushings, there is a major modification to your subframe to weld in adjustable eccentric bolts, there are (a bazillion dollars each) adjustable trailing arms..Gruppe A stuff, 100% unobtanium, yeah, dream on.

H&R Races should not make the car low enough to eat a set of tires in 3,000 miles though...something else is wrong.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Was there any unusual wear pattern to the tires? What are the alignment specs?
      Offset OEM type bushings are $28 for two at Bavarian Autosport. They'll give you a small (.5 degree or less) toe change. If you have fabrication skills you can slot the rear trailing arm mounts about .125" each and spot weld appropriate size washers for locating the bolts. Weld in kits are $$$ and lots of labor.

Comment

i think the tech was talking about adjustable bushings. ive read also that worn bushings can cause a problem like this, but i guess a visit to the mechanic should fix this. and my wallet...i just got back from taking a look at it and the left side of the car sits waaaay lower then the right...sigh..the whole thing is f'd i think. so much for paying more for a "well sorted out car".

Comment

Scotty, remember that a thinner wallet will help keep your spine in good alignment. Bummer, huh?

Good luck, man!
          Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

maybe the one spring is broken, the one trailing arm is bent, or one subframe bushing is shot? or a combo of two or three

Comment

check ur rear subframe bushings, notorious for causing excess toe in

Comment

Originally posted by papajetta View Post
                check ur rear subframe bushings, notorious for causing excess toe in
                What? Horseshit. SFBs cannot cause toe in issues. Not in an E30, anyway.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by scottyp View Post
                  i think the tech was talking about adjustable bushings. ive read also that worn bushings can cause a problem like this, but i guess a visit to the mechanic should fix this. and my wallet...i just got back from taking a look at it and the left side of the car sits waaaay lower then the right...sigh..the whole thing is f'd i think. so much for paying more for a "well sorted out car".
                  I am having this same problem with one side in the rear being lower than the other by 1in. I swapped springs and put new shocks, and driver side rear still sags?
                  Last edited by wickedE30; 03-15-2008, 07:12 PM.
                  sigpic
                  88 M3,88 325ic,87 325is
                  e30s are like fat girls that USED to be hot, you just gotta work them out to make them hot again.

Comment

bent subframe or trailing arm. i dealing with a similar issue rite now with right rear wheel.
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X