No announcement yet.

Drop Hats.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered a set of these through Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com), $20 for the set. Hopefully will get them on this weekend and post some before/after pics.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

i would like to know if you have put the e90 top hats in. i want to know if it works. and are you saying that if using the e90 top hats, i would get more strut so my struts don't bottom out?

Comment

Originally posted by 88e30dippin View Post
        i would like to know if you have put the e90 top hats in. i want to know if it works. and are you saying that if using the e90 top hats, i would get more strut so my struts don't bottom out?
        Just the opposite. I put mine in, and now my shocks bottom out a lot. It never happened before. I'm running Bilstein Sports with H&R Sports. I'm going to go with H&R Races in an attempt to stop the problem.

But yes, they do work, as shown a few times in this thread.

Comment

cool thanks. i'll try the e90 oe top hats. if anything i'll cut the spot where the top hat bolts up to the car and raise that an 1.5"

Comment

careful there now...

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

cool thanks. i'll try the e90 oe top hats. if anything i'll cut the spot where the top hat bolts up to the car and raise that an 1.5"
              wut

Comment

im going to fab up my own top hat area on the car itself and raise it up enough before it hits the hood. that means i won't have to bottom out my struts. or get top hats. i would be riding stock strut height.

Comment

im going to fab up my own top hat area on the car itself and raise it up enough before it hits the hood. that means i won't have to bottom out my struts. or get top hats. i would be riding stock strut height.
                  You're going to fabricate a new strut tower? Is this a full race build? Your suspension geometry is going to be completely ruined. Not to mention, I question if you can duplicate the original strut towers strength...

Comment

again: wat

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                      again: wat

You don't understand why someone would re-fabricate a major structural part of the car instead of getting shortened strut inserts????

I don't either.

Comment

well its what i prefer. i know how to fabricate sheet metal. so making it strong enough wouldn't be hard. where can i get shortened strut inserts?

Comment

so how many people are running these? long term updates/problems?

i just finished installing a set on my car, got them off getbmwparts.com for 24 shipped iirc. front measurement from ground to highest point of wheel arch went from 24.5" to a hair above 24"... almost a half inch drop. this is with ie3 springs.

and for what its worth, i was able to change the "drophats" without removing the strut. i removed the big nut for the shock, and pulled the spring/strut assembly away from the bushing/top mount. then i removed the three bolts for the mount and removed it. that gave me enough room to r&r the drophat and put everything back together.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenSolid View Post
                            I'm running them, no problems. They're just spring hats, not much to go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenSolid View Post

Im suprised my thread didnt get more views. It's not a very fun thing to have happen.

I have not had any problems since grinding them down.

Comment

My H&R Sport & Bilstein Sport setup bottoms out constantly now with e90 drop hats. I'm going to switch to H&R Race eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X