Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 racks: let's settle it once and for all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would an E30 M3 rack be a worthwhile upgrade?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
      Would an E30 M3 rack be a worthwhile upgrade?
      I would like to know the same thing. Which one has the shorter ratio: an e30 m3 rack or a z3 1.9 rack?

Comment

From what i understand from EVERYTHING i have seen and read the z3 1.9 rack has the shortest ratio among them.
        sigpic

Comment

IIRC the e30 M rack has the same ratio as the e30 non M rack. The only difference is that due to the wider stock tires, the stops are different...so its fewer turns lock to lock, but the exact same ratio.
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Exactly what i needed to know, thank you!

Comment

I have a steering rack from a basic E36 325i 4-dr sedan with an automatic. It is so flickable now. One of the few things that brings a smile to my face when pushing though the M42's lack of power.
              You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
              I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
              Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

91 325i w/airbag

I have a 1991 325i with an airbag. The rack needs replacement, so I need some advice.

I like the idea of upgrading to the Z3 rack. Which year(s) do I need to look for and what hardware do I need to swap them? I come from the world of 1600s and 2002s, so I've never touched a rack and pinion.

Thanks in advance.
                1987 325e Commuter Project Blog

1967 1600 Project Blog: www.TX02.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by RGCintha29073 View Post
                  From what i understand from EVERYTHING i have seen and read the z3 1.9 rack has the shortest ratio among them.

just so everyone understands, the all z3 racks are the same, at least on those models included here:

http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=32131095575%09

Comment

great thread you guys sold me on the z3 rack. a guy at the local high school drives one hes going to be pissed one of these days when he tries to drive home. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                      I've been looking at the 330i ZHP rack, but after a bit of research the Z3 rack is still the quickest option. And much, much cheaper.
                      Three years later and the opposite is true for pricing, Z3 racks are at least twice as expensive as a ZHP rack. Has anyone looked into the ZHP rack more? It seems like a really attractive option now that prices have gone down so much (and gone up for the Z3 rack)

Edit: I decided to look around and found this:
                      Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Describes pretty well the differences between all the racks that the 330 got, and that the "good" one is the 712 part number one.
                      Last edited by Solarian; 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if a 01 z3 3.0l rack would fit?

Comment

Yes
                          Originally posted by codyep3
                          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                          2010 F650gs twin
                          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                            Yes
                            And it would be a 2.7 l2l?
                            And thanks by the way man.

Comment

Just throwing this out there for you guys. The quickest rack you can buy is a Z4M Coupe rack which is 12.5 to 1. You can also buy a E46 ZHP or Z4M Roadster rack which are 13.5 to 1. Then your next option is a 02+ E46 rack which is 15.4 to 1 Good luck finding a M Coupe rack though there were only 1815 made. So realistically getting a ZHP,Z4M roadster, or Z3 rack will be the best bet and just buy which ever is cheapest they are all essentially the same. Bang for the buck IMO is a 02+ E46 rack. Atleast if you're buying a reman. (Check Rack Doctor for good pricing) If you are buying used just go to pull-a-part and buy a regular e36 rack for $50 bucks.

Comment

Just a heads up, stating the ratio IE 12.5:1 still does not give quite enough information, as it is dependent on the steering joint mount distance from hub pivot point, which may or may not change in each chassis. That number (12.5:1) means that in the car it came in, it takes 12.5º of steering wheel rotation to steer the wheels 1º. A better measurement is the milimeters/revolution of the input to rack ratio to measure the racks against each other.

Edit: I am guilty of this too.
                                Last edited by R3Z3N; 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X