Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 racks: let's settle it once and for all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand I was just providing what I could. Its difficult to get more information on these things.

Comment

Bimmerguy, when you say 02+ e46, am I correct to assume you mean non m3?

Comment

Bumping this as I have a question about z3 racks and there seem to be no definitive information and a lot of people talking out of their ass.

I just bought a 1996 Z3 1.9 rack. I assumed from initial studies because it was the 1.9, it would be the 2.7L2L model. The more I read up on it however, the more conflicting information is out there regarding these racks, leaving me MORE confused, and just downright frustrated. My observations have lead me to a certain batch of information that people are claiming are true without definitives. (Quoted from e30tech)

Does anyone know which Z3 rack is the 2.7 linear rack? I have heard too much conflicting information.

Some say...
        A. Make sure to Check all Z3 racks cause not all are 2.7
        B. All Z3 non M racks are 2.7
        C. Only the 1.9 racks are 2.7
        D. 2.8L Z3 96+ had a 2.7
        E. There was a very limited amount of 2.7 racks made (around 2500)

Anyone can confirm which of these is correct?

Thanks!
        Now, the main smartass from BF.C who posted the original conflicting information regarding these new racks remanufactured by a company called Maval drops a huge bomb, and then leaves it at that.. Without sources, data.. Even model years of the cars he tested. Just "BOOM. Here's 5% of the information you need that I've collected. Go screw yourselves trying to find more information on it". Worse comes to worse, he hasn't logged in since April, so good luck catching him now

This is what makes matters worse, because no one has any definitive information regarding the racks, and no one has put to rest any of the above rumors, I have no idea ifthe rack I've ordered is true 2.7L2L, or a plain 3.2L2L Z3 rack. All we know is he mentions Maval, and them having a specific gold finish, not the typical aluminium that the ZF racks have. That being said more questions come up such as, which cars actually CAME with the Maval units? It just kind of seems to me he just did half the research and left it at that, and that really pisses me off

Further researching the Maval rebuilds themselves has revealed, from multiple sources, that the racks are complete garbage and are poorly re-manufactured (play after only 1000 miles, leaky fittings unless over-torqued). I've called RyanGMW and they've said to avoid them unless it is remanufactured by ZF themselves.

So.. Gathering all the information that SHOULD be believed? ZF made racks that were 3.2 and had a silver-aluminum finish for the Z3s, but somehow some of them needed remanufacturing and were sent to an outside company (Maval) where they changed the ratio to 2.7 and added a gold-aluminium finish, and some Z3s got them, but some didn't, so I have to check every single one just to be sure? That's bullshavek; there has to be some hard facts on this subject and some people are talking just to talk

At this point, I really don't know what to believe

EDIT:
        I have called the yard company I bought the rack from and they said they have not yet pulled the part but that they will be able to send me pictures and more information about it on Monday. While this may not exactly immediately help the general rumor situation, it will allow me to know which rack I am getting and may shed more light on the misinformation that seems to be rampant about these racks.
        Last edited by JinormusJ; 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I don't know what to tell you.

I pulled my ZF z3 rack from a 1.9l z3 that was hit in the drivers side. It was the original rack to the car. It had a part number that had been superseded by a new number, both of which I don't have now, as I sold the car. I measured the L2L at 2.7 when out of the car and once installed. I also measured the distance the inner tierods traveled per revolution of the input shaft, and it was around 55 mm iirc.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Do you remember the model year?

So far I'm piecing together information that 2.7 L2L racks came in 95-97 Z3s as long as they kept the original racks, but I am scared to claim anything until I have definitive proof due to the nature of BSery I've been reading all over the web on this. However, one thing I have come across is that BMW did supercede the original 2.7L2L part number purging it from the original BMW catalogs due to safety concerns, and started fitting Z3s with 3.2L2L racks

This is all speculation as of now until I track down hard information, not just hearsay

Comment

This is all speculation as of now until I track down hard information, not just hearsay[/quote]

That is in short supply on R3V;)
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Question (sorry if its been answered),

I understand the 95 m racks are progressive, i also understand that the travel was limited as compared to the e36 rack. But wasnt the travel only limited due to the e36m inner tie rod locks?

As you can see here

The locks have a small raised area which will cause the rack to lock sooner then it normally would (when it bottoms out on the tie rod) wouldnt running a e36m rack with standard locks or no locks then cause it to have the same lock to lock as a standard rack and then the only difference being that its progressive?
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Bump...can anyone confirm my suspicions?
                  -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Subscribed.....

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                      Bump...can anyone confirm my suspicions?
                      I have heard this as well, but I can't remember where, and I have no additional info.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

a lot of help. im gonna go out and buy a z3 rack soon.
                        Originally posted by dvck
                        I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Ya there has definitely got to be something missing here. My 2.7 LTL rack came from a 2001 z3 convertible off of a separate forum.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                            Ya there has definitely got to be something missing here. My 2.7 LTL rack came from a 2001 z3 convertible off of a separate forum.
                            As did mine. 2001 Z3 with a 2.8L M52.

Comment

All non-M z3 have the same 2.7 LtL rack. All MZ3 have the 96+ e36 m3 3.2 LtL rack. If you find a z3 with a different rack, it has been replaced for some reason.

I got mine from a local yard for ~$150 shipped a year ago. Look on car-part.com for yards nearby. The racks have gone up but some yards haven't gotten the memo.
                              Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 08-16-2014, 01:48 AM.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Authentic 2.7 lock racks have part numbers that end in 031. I don't refer to them as any specific z3 make because some z3s came with 3.2 lock and some came 2.7. In my experience, I have had more 2.7 lock racks found in the 6-cylinder z3s (besides m) than in the z3 1.9 4-cylinder. Mine came off of a 1998 z3 2.8 ending in 031 that I picked for $80 at a yard two years ago.

The only way to know for sure is to verify the part number on the rack ends in 031

Comment

Working...
                                X