The suspension setup/ride height thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DELPHINtimecapsule View Post
    It looks like the rear arch sits over the tire, while the front has a gap. Aesthetically I'd like the gaps to be even, with an even little space between the wheel arch and the tires.
    frts in pic are 14s.....rears are 15s........gap in frt will decrease w/ 15s...

buuut Mr Burgundy nailed it....Ron always does.

if u r thaaaat picky...........get a coil set
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      Get coils, I have h&r race springs with with bilstein sports and I have tucked rear wheels and the front has some gap.
      I'll do some research on coilovers... any specific recommends I should look into first?

Comment

I'll do some research on coilovers... any specific recommends I should look into first?
        I have no experience with coils, but I know a lot of the guys here use ground control.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          I have no experience with coils, but I know a lot of the guys here use ground control.
          Ok, I'm gonna do some leg work . Thanks to you both.

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
            frts in pic are 14s.....rears are 15s........gap in frt will decrease w/ 15s...

buuut Mr Burgundy nailed it....Ron always does.

if u r thaaaat picky...........get a coil set
            I nail things all the time
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Theres also one piece to the puzzle that nobody seems to have mentioned.

The pic you posted of the Alpina car is an early model with higher rear arches, while the red car is a late model, as is MrBurgundy's
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Theres also one piece to the puzzle that nobody seems to have mentioned.

The pic you posted of the Alpina car is an early model with higher rear arches, while the red car is a late model, as is MrBurgundy's
                I have an early model 325is as well so that's my concern actually. I much prefer the way they designed the early arches and don't understand the design decision made into the late model arches. I really don't like the look of the gap difference at stock height, and lowering it will only highlight that, unless I drop the front lower by quite a bit.

Comment

I have the IE3 springs on my (early) car with 16s on 225/45 tires and I love the way it looks and rides
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

It's not to everyone's liking, but I have a little forward rake on my early. I think it looks just right with the diving boards.
                    The second photo has my late model next to it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	325is rake.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	7189501
                    Attached Files

Comment

Its going to be hard to get the stance you want on a late model without getting coilovers and ultimately you will probably end up with some forward rake on a late model because balancing the gap with a higher rear arch means the front has to come lower.

Early model looks great, throw the Alpinas on that!
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Its going to be hard to get the stance you want on a late model without getting coilovers and ultimately you will probably end up with some forward rake on a late model because balancing the gap with a higher rear arch means the front has to come lower.

Early model looks great, throw the Alpinas on that!
                        That was my first thought, but then I wondered about the diving boards with Alpina wheels. Not sure if that would look right. Have you ever seen that before?

Comment

That was my first thought, but then I wondered about the diving boards with Alpina wheels. Not sure if that would look right. Have you ever seen that before?
                          Cant think of it off the top of my head, but its not hard to swap two wheels and see what it looks like. Also, you could probably sell the BBS wheels for enough money to get Euro bumpers, or even a mtech1 kit. THEN your car would look just as good if not better than the Alpina you posted. I know where theres a mtech1 kit for sale not too far from us here, but it might be sold by now
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Cant think of it off the top of my head, but its not hard to swap two wheels and see what it looks like. Also, you could probably sell the BBS wheels for enough money to get Euro bumpers, or even a mtech1 kit. THEN your car would look just as good if not better than the Alpina you posted. I know where theres a mtech1 kit for sale not too far from us here, but it might be sold by now
                            I've gone back and forth but decided to leave the bumpers alone, resist the tech 1 kits and keep a clean, iconic, North American early 325is on the road in all it's glory. The BBS set up is original condition RS070/002 that were purchased new and mated together from the begining by the person I bought them off in Germany. I doubt there's a similar set around. Gonna hang onto them even if my wife bitches at me about storing shit.

Comment

I dont blame you one bit.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by RainierHooker View Post
                                My 325e:

Specs:
                                H&R Sport Springs
                                Bilstein Sport Shocks/Strut-inserts
                                BBS RZ403 15x6.5
                                205/50R15 Tires

Drop is pretty much as advertised, 1.5" Front, and a skosh less rear.
                                ^The reason I went with the sports. Perfect oem plus look imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X