No announcement yet.

Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this may not help you now, but the shocks I bought came with the stock camaro shock bolts. Surprisingly, they are the same thread pitch and diameter as the e30. So if you use the camaro bolts you don't have to change inserts. I gave up the fbody camaros for e30's so I was really amazed this works.
    1984 325e
    2000 323i

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
      was looking at sights that sell MR2 front inserts. do the body size of the inserts change depending on the year of the mr2? or would any mr2 front insert work regardless of the year?

also: it would seem that Mr2's have rear strut inserts aswell? they look just like all the front inserts on the sight. would there be a difference in those compared to the front ones? (body size/ valving)
      The rears are even shorter by about 2" of body length, so spacer needs to be 2" bigger as well. Diameter is the same. The MR2 fronts are also the Celica GTS fronts, so I stuck with those as they are valved for front applications, even tho the engine is in the rear of the MR2.
      Last edited by TG Goose; 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM.
      1999 540iA - Daily Driver

Comment

What Gen mr2 are you using?
        1984 325e
        2000 323i

Comment

Originally posted by TG Goose View Post
          The rears are even shorter by about 2" of body length, so spacer needs to be 2" bigger as well. Diameter is the same. The MR2 fronts are also the Celica GTS fronts, so I stuck with those as they are valved for front applications, even tho the engine is in the rear of the MR2.
          Did not see if you use REAR or FRONT mr2 shocks up front on your e30? Any modifications needed?
          thanks

Comment

I personally used FRONT MR2 inserts. requires removing and installing a new bearing in the strut mount and if not cutting strut tubing, basically a 4" spacer.

Comment

I personally used FRONT MR2 inserts. requires removing and installing a new bearing in the strut mount and if not cutting strut tubing, basically a 4" spacer.
              Does the REAR MR2 inserts require the new bearing?

Comment

Originally posted by eLKuRLy View Post
                Does the REAR MR2 inserts require the new bearing?
                yes. the OD on the strut shaft is the same, the length is just shorter
                '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
                Is that thing on air?

Comment

so i have 5.1" 450lb megean spring. with jom rear shocks. should i switch them out for the camaro rears? and im planning on going low but with a decent ride.

Comment

Just ordered a complete set of struts for the G.E. coilovers I bought a while back. I will put up install pics hopefully this weekend...

(Front) MR2 rear struts - KYB part # 765016

Free Shipping - KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks and Struts with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Shocks and Struts at Summit Racing.

(Rear) Camaro struts - KYB part # 743019

Free Shipping - KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks and Struts with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Shocks and Struts at Summit Racing.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

why MR2 rears?

Comment

why MR2 rears?
                        From reading this thread, the difference between the two is length correct? 2" shorter vs 4" shorter...

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

So he can do a 2" chop and not have to use a spacer. Hopefully they don't send you a front by accident like they did butcher.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                            So he can do a 2" chop and not have to use a spacer. Hopefully they don't send you a front by accident like they did butcher.
                            That's what I was planning on doing as they are shorter than the Bilstein Sports I am currently on. I will double check the part numbers when they get here on Friday, install by the weekend.

Also, thank you for the help via PM's, it has been extremely helpful.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

How much more do the Camaro (I used a 1985 model on blunttech) KYB GR-2 and Excel G (which one is better/stiffer?), compress than an e30 rear JOM shock? My car has like an inch of rear travel, and you bounce off the seat over bumps. $25/shock for those is not shabby at all.
                              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

so if i use a rear MR2 shock on the front i can chop out 4inches? (hypothetically.) seeing that i have just over a inch of plate clearance. i dont need 4 extra inches(or would it? shock travel?) only problem i see is im afraid that the spring then would be hitting the inner part of the wheel.

my adjusters on my coil-overs are almost hitting the lip of the wheel. about a half inch. so i should chop enough to get the adjuster location inside the wheel , but not so much that now the spring will hit the wheel.

so maybe a 3in chop? i want to be full adjustable. so all the way down on the adjusters has the frame rails on the floor. then just raise it up about a 1/2 in for plate clearance.

call it stupid/ whatever. it's what i want.
                                -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                                -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                                MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                                Got Drop?? ;-)
                                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                                But of course
                                E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Working...
                                X