No announcement yet.

Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering why don't you guys just buy 94-98 mustang rear shock instead of camaro? They are shorter/stiffer and they are bolt on, no need to change the bushings. Did it on my car (HD billies mustang 98 ) and I'm more than happy with them. I'm running 700lbs spring on the rear.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319393

Comment

Originally posted by alexlandro View Post
      I'm wondering why don't you guys just buy 94-98 mustang rear shock instead of camaro? They are shorter/stiffer and they are bolt on, no need to change the bushings. Did it on my car (HD billies mustang 98 ) and I'm more than happy with them. I'm running 700lbs spring on the rear.
      That is good to know! Could you post up some part numbers and pics?

Comment

Probably because it wasn't common knowledge... until this post. ;)

I'm on 16x8 square now and very happy with the suspension setup.
        Last edited by RedReplicant; 08-18-2014, 11:04 AM.
        91 318is - Gone
        16 VW GTI
        07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

So, the mustang rear shocks are identical to the camaro versions with the exceptions of no modifications? Also, do you have any P/N's?
          1992 Daihatsu Rocky SE
          1988 BMW 325 SETA

Comment

Originally posted by pandaiswong View Post
            So, the mustang rear shocks are identical to the camaro versions with the exceptions of no modifications? Also, do you have any P/N's?
            Mustang rear shocks have a shorter extended length than stock and Camaro shocks. This is probably nice for those of us that are low - less travel to unseat the springs.

Mustang - KYB KG4521 (Gas-a-Just) - 16.26" extended / 5.71" stroke
            Camaro - KYB KG5562 (Gas-a-Just) - 20.08" extended / 7.76" stroke
            91 318is - Gone
            16 VW GTI
            07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by RedReplicant View Post
              Mustang rear shocks have a shorter extended length than stock and Camaro shocks. This is probably nice for those of us that are low - less travel to unseat the springs.

Mustang - KYB KG4521 (Gas-a-Just) - 16.26" extended / 5.71" stroke
              Camaro - KYB KG5562 (Gas-a-Just) - 20.08" extended / 7.76" stroke
              Thanks man. I for some reason didn't see that you said they were shorter. I think I'll go with the camaros since I don't plan on going too low.
              1992 Daihatsu Rocky SE
              1988 BMW 325 SETA

Comment

Anyone running GC race camber plates on the milled down AGXes up front?
                91 318is - Gone
                16 VW GTI
                07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

91 318is - Gone
                  16 VW GTI
                  07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

i tried the mustang shocks on the back of my car when i was static and i didnt like them very much, they felt softer then the camaro ones which makes sence being the camaro is several hundred pounds heavier then the mustang..

i have QA1 single adjustable camaro rear shocks on my car now and its by far the best thing ive done.. rides amazing
                    IG: haggardfab

Comment

I wish cars had the driver feedback, common setup knowledge, and ease of adjustability that motorcycles have. I'm probably going to move to Koni SAs next year as it's a known good setup. I'm happy with my AGX and Gas-a-Just setup but it makes me wonder what a known good and matched setup feels like.

Also, Viking shocks was started by a few ex-QA1 employees.

AFCO is also another to look into - Flyin Miata coilovers are AFCO T2s. Apparently if you give them (AFCO) a call they can pretty much do whatever you want valving/mount/etc wise and are very approachable.
                      Last edited by RedReplicant; 10-03-2014, 07:49 PM.
                      91 318is - Gone
                      16 VW GTI
                      07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

You guys think that the Mustang Kyb agx can handle a 700lb rear spring? I'm using a 5" spring from GC and the koni shocks I have on there now droop so low when lifted that the coils can fall out. Thinking bout getting the AGX or maybe a Koni SA/DA Mustang shock

Comment

The front is the issue for me, not the rear but...
                          91 318is - Gone
                          16 VW GTI
                          07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineWeissIIE30 View Post
                            You guys think that the Mustang Kyb agx can handle a 700lb rear spring? I'm using a 5" spring from GC and the koni shocks I have on there now droop so low when lifted that the coils can fall out. Thinking bout getting the AGX or maybe a Koni SA/DA Mustang shock
                            all rear lowering springs fall out when jacked up, shocks won't make a difference there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                              all rear lowering springs fall out when jacked up, shocks won't make a difference there.
                              but isnt the mustang shocks physically shorter even when fully extended compared to e30 koni sports so when the car is jacked up the springs wont fall out since the shocks are so much shorter?

Comment

i have a set of mustang shocks by strange engineering and they don't droop much less than stock shocks. When i jack up the rear end the springs still clang but they don't fall out of position if that helps. I still make sure they're aligned on the top side before i let the car down.

in other words the rear springs are still loose but they don't fall out.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X