Gauging interest on coilovers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jim Lepage
    replied
    Yeah I know. If my calculs are good, I'm planning to lay the skidplate on the ground with mine. I'm also planning a shortened pan. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • ZekeTheSneak
    replied
    For sure, You need to make a slogan warning people about that hideous wheel gap everyone has up front ahah. Every stanced car on here, the front usually just cant get low enough i.e. ground control and jom. I'm sure you know that though haah

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Lepage
    replied
    Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak
    Oh if you have any fitment questions Pm me, If you dont remember I had fitment issues with 200mm springs on 9j wheels.
    Ok, I'm keeping this in mind. And thank you for the kind words.

    For the price, I talked to Rémi Wednesday and he can't do better than that. As a tuning shop owner he has to do some profits with the stuff he sells if he doesn't want to close his doors.

    The best thing to do now is to find some time to test fit the kit on my car. After that we'll be in a better position to sell the kits.

    Leave a comment:


  • ZekeTheSneak
    replied
    Oh if you have any fitment questions Pm me, If you dont remember I had fitment issues with 200mm springs on 9j wheels.

    Leave a comment:


  • ZekeTheSneak
    replied
    The design is perfect, i know we have talked before and i highly believe Ground control is just not for the lowly. My Bcs are pure awesome, full shock travel and so many ways to just slam the thing and properly at that. I love the idea but IMOP I would try to knock the price down to Bcs level. I would for sure consider these if i hadnt already bought a set of BCs. Bump for a good guy and beautiful car!

    Leave a comment:


  • Ayman
    replied
    GE's out to make a killing. Mark my words.

    Leave a comment:


  • einstein57
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant_e30
    - JOM are just sleeves, as are GE, which isnt a complete solution ready to weld/bolt in.


    Not entirely true. Thats just the group buy

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Lepage
    replied
    Update !

    I talked with Rémi this afternoon and here's some more details about the coilovers. Mostly this is some answers to the questions we can read above.

    -price is fixed at 1350$ CAD
    -you can choose your own spring rates and spring length
    -Standard Suspension uses their own shocks

    We'll probably be good to test fit them on my car during the next 4 weeks. Pictures and details will be added to this thread.

    -Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • Roysneon
    replied
    I've also heard good things of Standard suspension and have a friend locally that runs a shop that sells them here in Halifax. Would like to know some more info on the dampers ie who makes them and where as well as a shock dyno (so I can show it to someone who can read it of course).

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Lepage
    replied
    I know there's a lot of coilovers options on the market and some of them are cheaper. I'm talking with Rémi for a while about these and I only wanted to offer them to a community I appreciate. You're free to think what you want about them.

    Unix Performance is a really good tuning shop building quality rides with quality stuff (check their Facebook page) so having them helping me to build coilovers designed to ride well and going very low is a good thing if you want my opinion.

    The guys at Standard Suspension are very helpful too. They're always following us to the shows with their trailer to show their amazing products to the tuning community. Maybe they're not well known in USA but here in Canada they sponsor a lot of great drifters on the DMCC circuit. They also sponsor great drifters/racers around the world like Tsuchiya Keiichi.

    I will come with more infos asap.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Lepage
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant_e30
    I could be interested, kind of depends on ETA though if i can save enough, and also shipping cost to Australia.

    - In terms of adjustment i'm assuming that is a standard 24 or 36 clicks?

    It's 16 clicks.

    - With springs/spring rates, what is the 'standard' E30 rate they would come with?

    I have to confirm with Rémi. I don't know at the moment if they'll come in fixed rates kits or with the option of choosing the rates you're wanting. I think choosing the rates is a better option for the customer. I have to talk with him.

    - Is there the option to choose other spring rates?

    Same as above. I'll check with Rémi asap.

    - What are the spring lengths front and rear?

    I asked for 6'' front. On the picture above it's 8'' and I think it's too long. 6'' will let more room for wheel clearance. For the rear spring I don't know yet. We have to test fit them to know the best length.

    - Will these be available for both sizes of strut?

    I don't think they'll be offered for the 45mm struts since they fit tightly over a 51mm. Maybe by welding a spacer inside the base you'll be able to fit them on a 45mm strut.
    Originally posted by Ant_e30
    Plus if they are developed by someone who is a similar mindset to me who i can intelligently talk to rather than some faceless person like most of the cheaper coilovers, then again that just helps.

    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Jim Lepage; 03-22-2012, 04:24 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    Too expensive for what you could identically get in the current market.
    BC's are really popular because people grew the balls to try them out and finally make reviews for them. You can also get custom springs rates/lengths and have the shocks valved to you liking(apparently).
    Ksport, Megan and the like are the same as BC's without the extra qualities offered, so people refer to them as poop.

    Now, these also seem to be the exact same right down to the camber plate even.
    Install them on your car, make a review, get some photo's.
    Offer them cheaper than the market, and there will be interest.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ant_e30
    replied
    ^ There is also K-Sport, and other similar ones like 'Emotion' that you see on eBay.

    I still have interest, because out of the options SkiFree listed this is how i see it from my perspective:

    - the Megans i am not sure of as the reviews are a bit patchy and the new ones that are being promoted in the vendor area have no info behind them really? also not certain how low they go?
    - JOM are just sleeves, as are GE, which isnt a complete solution ready to weld/bolt in.
    - BC's have good reviews and seem good, though there is sometimes issues with getting the right spring sizing for lowness. Also i find it hard to get clear information here in Aus about the product (everyone just wants to sell you the off the shelf kit as is).
    - GC for me are very expensive once shipped and may be 'overkill' a little.
    - GAZ in the UK are likewise and I have heard of some people saying they dont go that low.
    - springs aren't coilovers and i wouldnt consider them because for me good springs and shocks is most of the way to entry level coilovers

    so for me i guess if these come in somewhere around about the middle of BC/KSport/Megan and GC/GAZ in the market (at least in terms of pricing) but have pretty solid performance plus spring rates i like and are sure to get me as low or lower than i want then i am interested. Plus if they are developed by someone who is a similar mindset to me who i can intelligently talk to rather than some faceless person like most of the cheaper coilovers, then again that just helps.

    Leave a comment:


  • SkiFree
    replied
    Jim, in the nicest way possible I think the market is pretty saturated with entry level coilovers.

    The megan/bc/JOM/GermanEngineering to start with and then the Ground Control units along with TC Kline for the next step up. And of course these are coil-overs, which there are some pretty decent lowering springs (IE Stge3, H&R Race).

    Leave a comment:


  • Ant_e30
    replied
    I could be interested, kind of depends on ETA though if i can save enough, and also shipping cost to Australia.

    - In terms of adjustment i'm assuming that is a standard 24 or 36 clicks?
    - With springs/spring rates, what is the 'standard' E30 rate they would come with?
    - Is there the option to choose other spring rates?
    - What are the spring lengths front and rear?
    - Will these be available for both sizes of strut?

    Leave a comment:

Working...