Just bought!!! 91' 318is! Need some tips

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • salvuhdor
    replied
    If you aren't sure while working on the car or can't find DIY. Go go the M42 section of the forum post pics and detail your problem. Many people would help ya out. Roguetoaster is keen on M42's

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_USN
    replied
    Thanks for all the feedback everybody! bimmerfest forums showed me absolutely no love lol

    Originally posted by salvuhdor
    Did it all myself. I suggest you go that way too. Learned a shitload and best thing now is... If something goes wrong, chances are ill be able to fix it :)
    Spent only about 1.5k switching all that out.
    Time for me start reading up on some DIY's

    Leave a comment:


  • salvuhdor
    replied
    Originally posted by E30_USN
    It runs flawlessly with 111k mi on the clock but yea i plan to handle routine maintenance soon. how much did the restore run you? or did you do it yourself?
    Did it all myself. I suggest you go that way too. Learned a shitload and best thing now is... If something goes wrong, chances are ill be able to fix it :)
    Spent only about 1.5k switching all that out.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30vert
    replied
    Originally posted by willworkfore30s
    H&R race's will not get him as low as he is looking to go. Save up your pennys and go straight to coil overs. Its the only reasonable way to get that low.
    +1

    Coilovers will allow you to dial in your ride height. You can set em low and get the look you are after or a little higher when you want to go for a long cruise and want more suspension travel.

    Ground Control with 1-2 Inch shortened front housing will get you to your "ideal" ride height.

    PM GCMark here on the boards as he works at Ground Control located in Rancho Cordova Ca.

    Also search for Ground Control strut modifications here on the board.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cephas
    replied
    Nice car man. Take good care of it, meaning start with maintenance stuff then go cosmetic. These cars will treat you well, but most need some serious refreshing to get back to stock caliber.

    Leave a comment:


  • willworkfore30s
    replied
    For suspension I'd suggest getting H&R race springs (or their new super sport springs) with Bilstein sport shocks, ST swaybars and a proper alignment.
    H&R race's will not get him as low as he is looking to go. Save up your pennys and go straight to coil overs. Its the only reasonable way to get that low.

    Leave a comment:


  • jntar
    replied
    For suspension I'd suggest getting H&R race springs (or their new super sport springs) with Bilstein sport shocks, ST swaybars and a proper alignment.

    Leave a comment:


  • DIIRTY-30
    replied
    Originally posted by E30_USN
    ill look into those JOM coils. You or anybody you know running them got any feedback?

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_USN
    replied
    Originally posted by illest318i
    Nice car man, that interior looks like its in great shape. You in the navy?
    Hmm the only suspension I can think of that can get you that low is JOM coilovers for cheap. You can probably find a used set on here. Idk too much about M42's, but I would do some work on that first, maintainance work.
    yea stationed on NAS north island. ill look into those JOM coils. You or anybody you know running them got any feedback? and yea the interior is pretty much immaculate for its year, only thing is the headliner but its not tooooo bad.

    Originally posted by salvuhdor
    How does it run? When I got my 318is I did a full timing system restore, all new hoses, and complete tune up, and all brand new control arms and front end bushings. After that I went for euro smilies, license filler, fogs, "is" lip, mtech steering wheel then reupholster interior.
    It runs flawlessly with 111k mi on the clock but yea i plan to handle routine maintenance soon. how much did the restore run you? or did you do it yourself?

    Leave a comment:


  • salvuhdor
    replied
    How does it run? When I got my 318is I did a full timing system restore, all new hoses, and complete tune up, and all brand new control arms and front end bushings. After that I went for euro smilies, license filler, fogs, "is" lip, mtech steering wheel then reupholster interior.

    Leave a comment:


  • illest318i
    replied
    Nice car man, that interior looks like its in great shape. You in the navy?
    Hmm the only suspension I can think of that can get you that low is JOM coilovers for cheap. You can probably find a used set on here. Idk too much about M42's, but I would do some work on that first, maintainance work.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_USN
    started a topic Just bought!!! 91' 318is! Need some tips

    Just bought!!! 91' 318is! Need some tips

    just picked up this 91 318is! excited to start upgrading it. dont know too much about these cars but eager to learn. probably looking to start with suspension. car wont be tracked and im on a budget, what do you guys recommend? any other upgrade u recommend?

    Height im going for:


    my car:




    Thanks!!!
Working...