Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coilovers - Good or Bad for resale?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Coilovers - Good or Bad for resale?

    Might be a dumb question. I have a 318is that is in need of suspension. I do not plan on keeping this car because I am looking for an 89 325i or is.
    My car is in the for sale section
    I was going to replace the suspension while I daily the car. But my question is, for resale value purposes. Is a bone stock 318is worth more with stock suspension or will it not matter. I know most would prefer coil overs on the car already, but that could be a biased thought.

    Would you rather buy a car with original suspension in good shape or one with lets say BC racing coil overs - not the fancy race stuff.

    thanks guys.
    Adam
    OO=[][]=OO
    @speeedshop
    @mradams

    #2
    H&R with Bilsteins or Konis will be a better choice than Chinese coilovers except for the low-low crowd.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
    Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
    Originally posted by Melon
    Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      H&R with Bilsteins or Konis will be a better choice than Chinese coilovers except for the low-low crowd.
      Kinda what i figured. I may just go the bilstein / koni route.

      currently has shot Konis and lowering springs.

      I also ride low lows so....

      but not a fan of Chinese anything. except their women. ;D
      OO=[][]=OO
      @speeedshop
      @mradams

      Comment


        #4
        I may never understand the appeal of coilovers on e30's. It's the same setup but now concentrates stress on the trailing arm and is usually more expensive.

        Konis and your choice of spring is what I'd recommend.
        "Tires are our fuse" -Matt Juengel
        1986 325e Sedan | M20B27 parts available for sale |

        Comment


          #5
          So the car is for sale, you don't care about it but you want to put in $1000 worth of suspension?

          I'm confused.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
            I may never understand the appeal of coilovers on e30's. It's the same setup but now concentrates stress on the trailing arm and is usually more expensive.

            Konis and your choice of spring is what I'd recommend.
            I agree - that might be my route

            Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            So the car is for sale, you don't care about it but you want to put in $1000 worth of suspension?

            I'm confused.
            No one said I don't care . I still daily the car and maintain the car.

            I love the car, it drives great but the shocks are toast. If I put coil overs I can achieve a nice drop and my question is more about, will this negatively or positively affect the value if it were to sell.

            I could sell it tomorrow, it could sell in a year.It could never sell. Meanwhile I have some RS's I would love to put on, but they look funny at this height. and shocks would not change my height. the car already has lowering springs, and does not sit as low as I'd like.

            sorry for the confusion
            OO=[][]=OO
            @speeedshop
            @mradams

            Comment


              #7
              Coils are silly for just a street car, but it's your car, so decide if you are keeping or selling before choosing suspension bits.

              Also, M42+low=bad.

              Comment


                #8
                Why don't you just buy new shocks?
                2000 A4 1.8TQ | 1988 325is | 1976 280Z | 1953 CJ3B

                Comment


                  #9
                  If you care about resale keep it stock. Lowering an M42 car is dumb, the oil pan hangs down too much.
                  @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
                  [b u i l d]
                  [Car of the month: April 2018]

                  0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I dont think 'Coilovers" as a whole word-unit apply when people say its silly on a street car. I have been in a number of different E30's with different coil-over setups and I can say that higher price does indicate better ride quality.

                    I run a set of Ground Control Coils with koni struts and the ride is surprisingly plush for daily driving. Its aggressive for sure, but it also absorbs rough roads without wrecking your back and the car stays very much composed. I have not enjoyed E30's on the road with BC racing coils or adjacent made in china coils.

                    I also ran a set of bilstens and H&R springs on both my tourings and that setup is fantastic and likely enough for 90% of daily driver E30's.

                    Based on selling the car though I would advise you to keep it stock, especially if you are running OEM spec and condition. I cant see any financial gain if you go H&R's + bilsteins when it comes time to sell. The new owner will appreciate it though!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      If your car is bone stock and generally in nice shape, any deviation from stock will be a resale drop. Doesn't matter if it's stupid, doesn't do anything or makes the car better.

                      If it's a driver status / hpde / autox semi beater, going with Koni or a Spec E30 setup will probably keep the value where it is, but I wouldn't bet on it increasing value.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Since it's for sale, just put in some billy's and keep the stock springs. IMO you'd either break even on the investment or at least help your chances selling the car vs an interested party finding you have blown struts.

                        My m42 is being pulled, so I am going with BC coils and putting in an s52.
                        1991 318is
                        2004 330ci
                        2011 335d

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                          Coils are silly for just a street car, but it's your car, so decide if you are keeping or selling before choosing suspension bits.

                          Also, M42+low=bad.
                          debatable - I drive coil overs on all my cars basically -

                          GC + Eibach on my 1972 BMW 2002 and KWv2 on my E46M3
                          I prefer the option to completely remove wheel gap, and to enhance the feel.

                          The 2002 is super light and the suspension is super stiff -

                          the M3 feels natural , doesn't break my back

                          But you are right, that oil pan is damn low as it is, and I don't wanna take that chance.

                          Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                          Why don't you just buy new shocks?
                          Most likely going to go that route.

                          Originally posted by varg View Post
                          If you care about resale keep it stock. Lowering an M42 car is dumb, the oil pan hangs down too much.
                          Yea that thing is stupid low. I dont think I will go lower on this car after all.

                          Originally posted by E30-TourZing View Post
                          I dont think 'Coilovers" as a whole word-unit apply when people say its silly on a street car. I have been in a number of different E30's with different coil-over setups and I can say that higher price does indicate better ride quality.

                          I run a set of Ground Control Coils with koni struts and the ride is surprisingly plush for daily driving. Its aggressive for sure, but it also absorbs rough roads without wrecking your back and the car stays very much composed. I have not enjoyed E30's on the road with BC racing coils or adjacent made in china coils.

                          I also ran a set of bilstens and H&R springs on both my tourings and that setup is fantastic and likely enough for 90% of daily driver E30's.

                          Based on selling the car though I would advise you to keep it stock, especially if you are running OEM spec and condition. I cant see any financial gain if you go H&R's + bilsteins when it comes time to sell. The new owner will appreciate it though!
                          Thanks, I will most likely just do the shocks, but I was just super tempted to get coils based on my last E30 .

                          Originally posted by spec-al View Post
                          If your car is bone stock and generally in nice shape, any deviation from stock will be a resale drop. Doesn't matter if it's stupid, doesn't do anything or makes the car better.

                          If it's a driver status / hpde / autox semi beater, going with Koni or a Spec E30 setup will probably keep the value where it is, but I wouldn't bet on it increasing value.
                          Thank you, This is my thoughts - I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else -
                          If the majority said they would pay more money for an E30 already on coil overs, I might have thrown them on. But does not seem to be the case.

                          Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
                          Since it's for sale, just put in some billy's and keep the stock springs. IMO you'd either break even on the investment or at least help your chances selling the car vs an interested party finding you have blown struts.

                          My m42 is being pulled, so I am going with BC coils and putting in an s52.
                          Nice, I have a few offerrs as it sits, But I do want to have a nice drive in the mean time. What are you doing with your M42? I have a 1600 that would love a transplant.
                          OO=[][]=OO
                          @speeedshop
                          @mradams

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by spec-al View Post
                            If your car is bone stock and generally in nice shape, any deviation from stock will be a resale drop.
                            Originally posted by varg View Post
                            If you care about resale keep it stock.
                            +1
                            Stock and well maintained will command the most money.




                            The core question: Are you building the car for yourself, or for someone else?
                            I never plan to sell my E30, so I modify as I choose.

                            However, I've kept lots of my original parts, if I choose to bring it back closer to stock some years down the road.

                            '87 BMW E30 325is (restomod)
                            '90 Mazda Miata NA
                            '04 Jeep TJ
                            '05 Yamaha R6 (trackbike)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MrAdam View Post
                              What are you doing with your M42? I have a 1600 that would love a transplant.
                              Oh how I wish we were on the same coast. Whole drive-train is for sale
                              1991 318is
                              2004 330ci
                              2011 335d

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X