E30 Coil-Over Weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Coil-Over Weirdness

I own a 1985 E30 with a custom coil-over system created by the PO. The car is pretty slammed and scrapes the exhaust over most, if not all speed bumps. Today, i went out and did 2 sets of measurements. The first set was from bottom of wheel opening arch to center of each wheel. The second set was from bottom of wheel opening arch to ground. Here's what i came up with:
    LF RF
    12" 12.50"

23.25" 22.75"

LR RR
    11.75" 11.75"

22 13/16" 23 6/16

My first thought when I see these numbers is WTF - then I wonder if the car's been hit. Regardless, I know this is a relatively easy fix - looking for some measurements other r3v members might be using on their E30's w/ c.o's. Thanks in advance for all input.

Not the most accurate measurement tbh. Is the car parked on level ground? Tire pressures equal all around? Try measuring from 4 points on the pinch weld and see what that says.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

"coilovers" as in adjustable height?

Comment

E30Davie - yes, adjustable coil overs.

Comment

Very unlikely, but if the car was corner balanced, those unequal heights might have been dialed in on purpose. But, since its so low, I doubt that's the case.
          Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

If it hasn't been corner weight ballanced......why can't you you just adjust the heights so they are equal heights both side?

Comment

No reason it can’t be done - was looking for some input as to what kind of heights people are running their cars at. Am new to E30 world and have no clue as to what height these cars lose some of their handling magic.

Comment

I would imagine just a lazy owner who eyed the heights and said "good enough"
                2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

I measured mine from the pinch seams to the ground and have 6 3/4 inches to the ground front, rear, left, right.... the thing you really dont want is your lower control arms higher at the ball joint then in the middle... this happens when you lower a car to far and puts the roll center below ground... this will make your car handle like crap...
                  https://photos.app.goo.gl/azuob1Qk3cNAHYxd8
                  this is what my car looks like on BC DS series coilovers... its not too low... im a form follows function guy

hope that helps
                  JAK

Comment

Working...
                  X