Small project - E30 M3 springs refurbished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a big deal, but picked up some E30 M3 springs, 80k miles and just some surface rust.

Time to get to work with the Dremel and lots of sandpaper and some white vinegar to really get in there...

Primed

Then painted. Used VHT epoxy satin black, a couple of coats, don’t breathe this stuff and make sure it has time to cure:

Testors model enamel for the details.

This is sort of an experiment, we’ll see how it goes when installed.

Ezekiel 25:17
    Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
    The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
    The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
    The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Be very careful using vinegar on springs. It often causes hydrogen embrittlement.
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Alright - so I went against my better logic and installed these over the weekend. This went fine for the rears and driver’s side, but the passenger side went all to shit. Tie rod threads got destroyed in pressing out of the strut (because n00b) and whoever put the top nut on the strut insert must have been a gorilla, because in trying to take it off I managed to strip the hex on the top of the rod. Oh, and after I got it all installed, I couldn’t get torque on the top nut anyway so something else is stripped, nut or rod threads. Can’t tell.

Well crap.

So the car is sitting now about 0.5” lower with a gimpy passenger tie rod (not drivable), and since I don’t really trust that something isn’t seriously hosed with the springs (Googling hydrogen embrittlement was all horror show), I have some OE Sports on the way to go with a new outer tie rod end.

The question now is, do I order one or two B6 strut inserts? The driver’s side is fine, and has about 10k miles on it. Seems a shame to toss just to match a new passengers side insert, but since this was such a shitshow I’m reluctant to do anything that would need me to take it apart a third time.

Any thoughts?

Edit: 16k miles, just checked.

Last edited by majdomo; 07-08-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Not sure if you have terminology mixed up, but the tie rods don't have anything to do with ride height?
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I think he pulled the strut assembly to change the springs, and f'd the tie rod thread pressing it off the knuckle.

I think it’s just a bad sentence. The springs only dropped the car a half inch, the tie rod is f'd, and he is worried about hydrogen embrittlement..........

Did I get that right?
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
            I think he pulled the strut assembly to change the springs, and f'd the tie rod thread pressing it off the knuckle.

I think it’s just a bad sentence. The springs only dropped the car a half inch, the tie rod is f'd, and he is worried about hydrogen embrittlement..........

Did I get that right?

Yes, this.

Ultimately I’m trying to stay close to stock but get some of the body roll and 4x4 height out of the car, without having to go coilover or need a skid plate.

Comment

something simple turns into a big fuck up. sheesh
              we've all been there.

convertible front sway and m3 rear helps massively btw.

Comment

So is the allen key insert fubar'd, or the actual OD threads on the strut insert?

If it's the allen key, borrow an impact and they come off pretty cleanly.

Don't sweat replacing one insert after 10k miles, I generally replace them as needed, not necessarily in pairs unless I am following a regimen (easier to know "ok, both were replaced xxx miles or races ago")
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                  something simple turns into a big fuck up. sheesh
                  we've all been there.

convertible front sway and m3 rear helps massively btw.
                  Thanks. Sucks for sure. Blew a big ass chunk out of the weekend. Learned a ton...about how it can go sideways.

14.5mm rear sway is on the way, along with new rubber from Turner. Same order as the new f'n tie rod, springs, and some other odds and ends. From my reading the 318is has a 20mm front from stock so will stick with that and adjust accordingly. May go bigger on sways but will make that call later.

So is the allen key insert fubar'd, or the actual OD threads on the strut insert?

If it's the allen key, borrow an impact and they come off pretty cleanly.

Don't sweat replacing one insert after 10k miles, I generally replace them as needed, not necessarily in pairs unless I am following a regimen (easier to know "ok, both were replaced xxx miles or races ago")

Allen key insert is definitely fubar, which I could have lived with for the time being if I would have been able to get the nut to torque down. However, once I got the nut down to the bottom, it just kind of spun and felt very...not engaging. Leading me to think either the nut or the threads or both are hosed too. Or, third possibility, did I actually end up off the threads at the bottom?? No idea if that's even possible.

Fortunately I have an impact that can take it off. And since I'm not concerned about preserving this insert I don't have any concerns about getting some big ol' channel locks on the insert to hold it in place.

Good to know it's not a big deal to keep the good strut insert. That definitely helps.
                  Last edited by majdomo; 07-08-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Curious as to how this works out.
                    I just received some used M3 springs for my 88 325 iS. Hoping for a bit of a drop and thinking of getting Bilstein B 6's to match.
                    Anyone done this kind of swap?

Comment

My car is a 318is, so lighter than the 325is (and maybe a little lighter than an M3?).

Comment

Right, probably a lot of factors like the weight of the M3 at the front/rear compared to the 325 iS...I'm hoping the strut towers are usable. The rears would be easy to try for size. Perhaps someone has done this to their 325 iS

Found this...from an owners manual apparently

325i - kerb weight: 1209kg, distribution: F 52.4% / R 47.6% (Battery moved to trunk)

318iS - kerb weight: 1132kg, distribution: F 53.3% / R 46.7%

320iS - kerb weight: 1218kg, distribution: F 52.1% / R 47.9%

M3 - kerb weight: 1237kg, distribution: F 52.2% / 47.8%
                        Last edited by finnmole; 07-10-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Ahhh, back to the good ol' days of trial and error.
                          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                            Ahhh, back to the good ol' days of trial and error.

Ha! I have a good number of parts otw. So many tracking numbers!

Comment

Just for fun and future reference, here are the before and after pics of the ride height. Showing about 0.5” drop from stock all around.

Stock, front:

Stock, rear:

M3, front:

M3, rear:

From a bit of a distance, riding stock 14” weaves. Please forgive the dirty E30 shots, she needs a f’n bath:

Excited to see what it’ll look like when I get the Euroweaves and OE Sports on there!

Comment

Working...
                              X