Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    So is the allen key insert fubar'd, or the actual OD threads on the strut insert?

If it's the allen key, borrow an impact and they come off pretty cleanly.

Don't sweat replacing one insert after 10k miles, I generally replace them as needed, not necessarily in pairs unless I am following a regimen (easier to know "ok, both were replaced xxx miles or races ago")

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    something simple turns into a big fuck up. sheesh
    we've all been there.

convertible front sway and m3 rear helps massively btw.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
    I think he pulled the strut assembly to change the springs, and f'd the tie rod thread pressing it off the knuckle.

I think it’s just a bad sentence. The springs only dropped the car a half inch, the tie rod is f'd, and he is worried about hydrogen embrittlement..........

Did I get that right?

Yes, this.

Ultimately I’m trying to stay close to stock but get some of the body roll and 4x4 height out of the car, without having to go coilover or need a skid plate.

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• Todd Black 88
    replied
    I think he pulled the strut assembly to change the springs, and f'd the tie rod thread pressing it off the knuckle.

I think it’s just a bad sentence. The springs only dropped the car a half inch, the tie rod is f'd, and he is worried about hydrogen embrittlement..........

Did I get that right?

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Not sure if you have terminology mixed up, but the tie rods don't have anything to do with ride height?

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Small project - E30 M3 springs refurbished

Alright - so I went against my better logic and installed these over the weekend. This went fine for the rears and driver’s side, but the passenger side went all to shit. Tie rod threads got destroyed in pressing out of the strut (because n00b) and whoever put the top nut on the strut insert must have been a gorilla, because in trying to take it off I managed to strip the hex on the top of the rod. Oh, and after I got it all installed, I couldn’t get torque on the top nut anyway so something else is stripped, nut or rod threads. Can’t tell.

Well crap.

So the car is sitting now about 0.5” lower with a gimpy passenger tie rod (not drivable), and since I don’t really trust that something isn’t seriously hosed with the springs (Googling hydrogen embrittlement was all horror show), I have some OE Sports on the way to go with a new outer tie rod end.

The question now is, do I order one or two B6 strut inserts? The driver’s side is fine, and has about 10k miles on it. Seems a shame to toss just to match a new passengers side insert, but since this was such a shitshow I’m reluctant to do anything that would need me to take it apart a third time.

Any thoughts?

Edit: 16k miles, just checked.

Last edited by majdomo; 07-08-2019, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Andre3127
    replied
    Be very careful using vinegar on springs. It often causes hydrogen embrittlement.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    started a topic Small project - E30 M3 springs refurbished

Small project - E30 M3 springs refurbished

Not a big deal, but picked up some E30 M3 springs, 80k miles and just some surface rust.

Time to get to work with the Dremel and lots of sandpaper and some white vinegar to really get in there...

Primed

Then painted. Used VHT epoxy satin black, a couple of coats, don’t breathe this stuff and make sure it has time to cure:

Testors model enamel for the details.

This is sort of an experiment, we’ll see how it goes when installed.

Working...
X