Bilstein Sports - what’s the deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilstein Sports - what’s the deal?

Trying to decide on shocks. Can’t get a bead on what the issue is with Bilstein Sports. Are they good, or not? Are they uncomfortable, or not?

I already have a set of H&R Sport springs to go with whatever shocks I’m going to get. This will be on a street driven car, with 16” wheels.

The Sports are a lot cheaper than the Koni’s, especially for a used set.

Definitely appreciate any comments.

I wouldn't buy used shocks.

Bilsteins are a monotube with gas pressure vs koni which are a twin tube which don't have gas pressure in them.

So Konis ride better, But leak all the time.

I still think anything lowered need a shorter shock, but that's digging a hole.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Having had Billy sports and HR sports for years I can't really knock the setup too much, but it can be somewhat harsh over poor roads, even with all rubber bushings, and in exchange you get a real feeling of performance, but maybe not all that much actual handling improvement over a freshish Sachs OE Advantage/stock springs.

For a primarily street driven car I'd go either new stock springs/M3 springs and Sachs/Billy HD. If you want to track the car sports/Billy sports aren't really up to the task, and so they unfortunately fall somewhere in to the occasional autox/mild track day useage category.

Comment

I just put a new set of super sports to go along with my HR race springs. Having been driving on a busted one for awhile, I forgot what a smooth (ish) ride felt like. I have no problem with Bilstein. I've never heard anyone say they're a bad choice.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

FWIW, with Bilsteins, my springs were loose fully extended, not so with the Konis. I'd suggest Konis. They ride better.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to recommend stock springs over them, but H&R Sports are definitely pretty soft, but a better choice for a street car than H&R Race.

Comment

All high gas pressure monotube shocks have certain shared characteristics: Specifically, they are stiff over mild impacts. There’s a reason why practically no OE manufacturers use them for street vehicles. The flip side is that pretty much every racing suspension is a high-gas monotube design. Because ride quality at low speeds doesn’t really matter.

Konis, even though they have worse reliability, ride a LOT better at street/town speeds.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I know Dinan for example did H&R Sports with Bilsteins, so I figure they can’t be terrible. I have had brand new Koni Sports fail on me within a month of purchase. Pretty disappointing.

Comment

I do wonder how a Bilstein would feel up front if it was shortened.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                X