Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering/Suspension Noise Assistance

Hey All!,
    Long time lurker, first time poster πŸ˜…

I have a '91 325i with a lowered suspension (might be relevant) that's experiencing some loud groaning noises while steering. It only happens it seems while the suspension is under load (not up on a lift), and I believe also while the engine is off. It sounds mechanical, but the techs can't seem to pinpoint the issue. I've attached their latest message to me, and a video. I'm curious what I should try repairing first before I just start the $$$hotgun approach 😬😬😬

Any advice would be super helpful.

From the shop:
    We took the car to an alignment rack to determine the source of noise. With extensive inspection and time spent, we have not been able to pinpoint the cause or the source. It could be from the Rack which is under Warranty to remove & Replace with another, The Pump, or Steering Column U-Joint. Any of the above could be the culprit, however because the noise is only present on the ground, we are leaning towards the shortened suspension instead.
    If you wish for me to replace the rack under warranty and at no charge to you, I am fully willing to do it, but not totally convince that’s coming from the rack though.
    Video:

I am assuming you/they checked all the basics?
    PS Steering Fluid level.. flush fluid and replace.. checked for Fluid leaks etc?

Mine was groaning and it turned out just to be low fluid and leaking hoses

Comment

Sounds like air in the lines to me. But it happens with the engine off?
      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
      X