Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
    Long shot, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Borbet Type C 16x7.5
    ET30
    205/55/16 cooper touring
    not using spacers

Q1 - Any other size of tire I can use? Eventually these tires will be replaced. As it is now, the tire is close (maybe like 4-5mm) to the strut tube.

Q2 - What length studs should I use? 75mm, 90mm, etc?

For reference:
    As you found out, those will be extremely close to the struts. I know of at least one guy who has pulled them off without spacers (on 205/50/16 tires), and at least one other who had it rubbing constantly. I wouldn't necessarily recommend someone to try it, but I would do it myself.

The tire is too tall. As others said 205/50 or 225/45 are the correct choices. For the 225 you'd definitely want spacers, even 5mm all around is fine. I can never remember stud length, just search the board for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
      Anyone had the Falken Sincera SN 828's? I'm looking for cheap tires to get the car down to texas in. The final price installed is alittle over 270. or any suggestions of cheap tires that won't be too shitty in the rain.
      Never heard of it.

The ZE-912 is so cheap already, and comes in that size. It's an excellent tire.

Comment

Just checked turnermotorsport and the 5mm spacer required non-beveled wheel backs. Mine are beveled, even with the hubcentric rings I have on the wheels.

So which spacers should I go with....or any at all?
        Just read this now.

Look into the 12.5mm hubcentric spacers I've posted here before. Even with 225/45/16 tires, you'd need the slightest of rear fender rolls, and it would look great.

Comment

Originally posted by JiXer View Post
          So I am thinking 245/40-17 Ventus Rs2's on bbs 7.5" rims.

Thoughts?
          No.

235 is the biggest you'd want. It'll work on the 7.5", but you'll be decreasing performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            What size tire would you recommend on 15x6 1/2" rims?

Could I squeeze 225s on there?
            225 R-comps, sure. Street tires, don't even bother.

205 is the biggest. Just get something super sticky like RT-615s.

Comment

Well I was thinking r-comps/slicks

Would you go with the kumho v710s?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                Well I was thinking r-comps/slicks

Would you go with the kumho v710s?
                For autox, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                  No.

235 is the biggest you'd want. It'll work on the 7.5", but you'll be decreasing performance.
                  How do you figure?
                  Are you saying 245's on 7.5's lay down less rubber than 235's?

J.
                  J. Farina

Yeah, thats me kicking up all that dirt!

Comment

225 R-comps, sure. Street tires, don't even bother.

205 is the biggest. Just get something super sticky like RT-615s.
                    Not trying to start arguments or question your expertise, but we have run 215's on 6.5's and they are great.

I have even run 225 RA1's on 6" rims and they worked great.
                    Obviously tucked, but wore evenly and stuck like glue.

J.
                    J. Farina

Comment

How do you figure?
                      Are you saying 245's on 7.5's lay down less rubber than 235's?

J.
                      No.

More rubber does not equal more performance; the contact patch will be deformed. Also, "laying down rubber" is not an obvective, as no matter what size the tire is the same area of rubber will be in contact with the pavement, given the same car weight. It will just be a different shape, and when the tire is too wide for the wheel this shape is not optimal and you will LOSE traction.

Comment

Not trying to start arguments or question your expertise, but we have run 215's on 6.5's and they are great.

I have even run 225 RA1's on 6" rims and they worked great.
                        Obviously tucked, but wore evenly and stuck like glue.

J.
                        215 what?

I'm fully aware of the wider range of options when you use R-comps.

Comment

Just read this now.

Look into the 12.5mm hubcentric spacers I've posted here before. Even with 225/45/16 tires, you'd need the slightest of rear fender rolls, and it would look great.
                          I guess there are no 5mm spacers that will work with beveled wheel backs, eh?

Trying to avoid extra expenses if possible. Maybe I should just stick to 205/50-16 without spacers or will that size still need spacers (ie, is it any wider than a 205/55 at the strut tube area)?
                          89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                          E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

215 what?

I'm fully aware of the wider range of options when you use R-comps.
                            Azenis RT-615 - 215/45-16
                            J. Farina

Comment

No.

More rubber does not equal more performance; the contact patch will be deformed. Also, "laying down rubber" is not an objective, as no matter what size the tire is the same area of rubber will be in contact with the pavement, given the same car weight. It will just be a different shape, and when the tire is too wide for the wheel this shape is not optimal and you will LOSE traction.
                              Hmmmm.... Thats not computing in my head.
                              Any good links to something illustrating this?
                              I'm very much a visual learner.

J.
                              J. Farina

Comment

I guess there are no 5mm spacers that will work with beveled wheel backs, eh?

Trying to avoid extra expenses if possible. Maybe I should just stick to 205/50-16 without spacers or will that size still need spacers (ie, is it any wider than a 205/55 at the strut tube area)?
                                Some 205s will fit, but not all. It's honestly a crap shoot with how close those wheels are.

You can also run a 3mm universal spacer. They're $20 for the pair max, and you don't even need new bolts.

Comment

Working...
                                X