Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I have:
    1989 325ic stock with chrome bottlecaps

What I'm going to do:
    H&R Sport cabrio springs with bilstein shocks. Aftermarket wheels

What I don't know:
    A hell of a lot... and
    What is best tire/wheel choice for a smooth ride yet capable of being pushed around corners. This will NOT be a track car and I do not want coilovers as this is a cruiser/DD. I don't want to modify the fenders at this time. Maybe later though.

Comment

Will 225/50R15's fit on euroweaves (15x7 et24?) without any rubbing, rolling, spacers, etc? I am currently running 205/60R14 Falken Ziex ZE-512's on basketweaves, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of clearance between the tire and the front strut housing, maybe 1/4"? I am running H&R sport springs with Bilstein sport shocks on my '91 318is, so it's a very mild drop. But if there's any chance of rubbing even with 4 adults loading the car down, I'd rather just stick with some 205/55R15's.

On a related note, would 225/50R15 tires look too fat on a 7" wheel? A 225 tire would have almost 9" of tread width which seems like a lot for a 7" wheel, whereas a 205 tire would have 8" of tread width. I'd like to maintain a nice square, properly proportioned tire.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        To accomplish what? Stretch and poke, flush, big tires?

For 235/40/17, you want ET 25, you can convert that into backspacing.
        i fail to see how my goal is imporant. knowing the max backspacing i can have on a 17" wheel will allow me to figure out what offset i need on any width wheel. i suppose though that if i'm using balloon tires i'll need more room on the inside.

i'm looking at 245/40/17's on a 17x9

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
          i fail to see how my goal is imporant. knowing the max backspacing i can have on a 17" wheel will allow me to figure out what offset i need on any width wheel. i suppose though that if i'm using balloon tires i'll need more room on the inside.

i'm looking at 245/40/17's on a 17x9
          I suspect you fail at life in general, but, por ejemplo.

If you want to run stretch and flush, you're max offset will be different than if you want to fix the max amount of tire possible under the fenders. For instance on a 17 x 8 235/40/17, you'll want ET 25, if you wanted to run a 205/40 you could go out to ET 10.

It makes a big fucking difference.

I'll just wait and let Mystikal answer you then.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I suspect you fail at life in general, but, por ejemplo.

If you want to run stretch and flush, you're max offset will be different than if you want to fix the max amount of tire possible under the fenders. For instance on a 17 x 8 235/40/17, you'll want ET 25, if you wanted to run a 205/40 you could go out to ET 10.

It makes a big fucking difference.

I'll just wait and let Mystikal answer you then.
            lol wut?

wheel width shouldnt matter for my question. lets just say i want to run a 40 width tire on a 17" wheel with no stretch, and no ballooning. wheel width is irrelevant. so is offset. backspacing is key. i understand what you're saying though which is why you could have paid more attention to the second part of my post...

i suppose though that if i'm using balloon tires i'll need more room on the inside.

Comment

Hahahaha, offset doesn't matter, but backspacing does.

You obviously don't understand the correlation between the two. lol

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Hahahaha, offset doesn't matter, but backspacing does.

You obviously don't understand the correlation between the two. lol
                i 100% understand the correlation. the offset needed changes based on wheel width. backspacing doesnt.

Comment

I am going to pick up some used Kopi's tommorow. I am assuming they are 17x7.5 ET20. I have a 92 318ic. I understand the 215/40-17 will fit all around. Can i go to a 235/40-17 on the rear?
                  Thanks
                  Glen

Comment

i 100% understand the correlation. the offset needed changes based on wheel width. backspacing doesnt.
                    So what you're saying is, that a 7" wheel with 4" backspacing fits the same as an 8" with 4" backspacing.

That's what you're saying?

I included a little chart I found for you. ;)

So a 7" ET 0 wheel and an 8" ET -12 wheel, fit the same?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Backspacing changes with wheel width and offset, as does frontspacing.

For every inch of increased wheel width, holding the offset steady, backspacing will increase by 1/2"

For every inch of offset gained, holding the offset steady, backspacing will increase by an inch. Backspacing is a function of width and offset.

Comment

Okay, quick question. Sorry for not reading the 150 page wheel post. I searched but didn't see the answer.
                        I'm looking for a 215/40-16 for my 16x9's but I can't seem to find a sidewall/pattern that I like. Does anybody have some picture of some good looking sidewall with a little stretch on a 9 inch rim?

Comment

Have you checked tyrestretch.com?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Thanks.. got it

Comment

So what you're saying is, that a 7" wheel with 4" backspacing fits the same as an 8" with 4" backspacing.
                              yes actually. i dont give a fuck how far the wheel sticks out, the question is only about the space between wheel and shock.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              Backspacing changes with wheel width and offset, as does frontspacing.

For every inch of increased wheel width, holding the offset steady, backspacing will increase by 1/2"

For every inch of offset gained, holding the offset steady, backspacing will increase by an inch. Backspacing is a function of width and offset.
                              no shit

Comment

Originally posted by Streichholzschächtelchen View Post
                                I have a diving board e30, and I'm going for some 15x7, et15 wheels. Wondering what I can get away with running tire wise with rolled fenders and without rolled fenders.
                                205/50 or 205/55 without rolling, up to 225/50 with rolled.

Comment

Working...
                                X