If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
by the time and money spent on redrilling the hubs to accept 5x120 you have purchased and istalled new hubs in the rear and new wheel bearings in the front. becuase you'll also have to drill the rotors as well. i've given this some thought before.
E30 4*100 hubs have too little radius for commonly desired 5*120 redrill :(
you can do the rears
Originally posted by whelton70
Its just a dumb idea is all I am saying. With the choices of wheels designs that are offered today you would have to be really crazy not to like something that is offered out there that will fit your car without compromising the safety of a wheel and more importantly lives !! I mean hell why not just get some steel blanks and have a machinist make you 5 lug pattern hubs for your car and set it up where you can bolt them on the way the wheels were intended on is all. Or better yet find a set of wheels you just can not do without and then by a car to fit the rims. Wow now thats and idea!!!!! There is an old say " If its not done right then its not worth having!!"
I had a set of redrilled axles in a 70 Dodge Dart. And my Vega has a set of redrilled front rotors on it. It's the same deference, wheel or axle/rotor.
E30 4*100 hubs have too little radius for commonly desired 5*120 redrill :(
Its just a dumb idea is all I am saying. With the choices of wheels designs that are offered today you would have to be really crazy not to like something that is offered out there that will fit your car without compromising the safety of a wheel and more importantly lives !! I mean hell why not just get some steel blanks and have a machinist make you 5 lug pattern hubs for your car and set it up where you can bolt them on the way the wheels were intended on is all. Or better yet find a set of wheels you just can not do without and then by a car to fit the rims. Wow now thats and idea!!!!! There is an old say " If its not done right then its not worth having!!"
I don't think that filling the holes wth weld, then redrilling them is a good idea by any means, but any competent machinist can get drill the holes in the correct pattern and centered.
srsly. I could get them within .0005" if I wanted to. it's not like it would be done on a drill press or something.
[quote=whelton70;710224]This sounds like something VW owners would do. There is NO way that I would trust doing this at all. Best case scenario you would have a real hard time getting the drilling perfect so that the wheels rolls balanced and not like an EGG !!! quote]
I don't think that filling the holes wth weld, then redrilling them is a good idea by any means, but any competent machinist can get drill the holes in the correct pattern and centered.
This sounds like something VW owners would do. There is NO way that I would trust doing this at all. Best case scenario you would have a real hard time getting the drilling perfect so that the wheels rolls balanced and not like an EGG !!! Not including the fact the welding and redrilling in any matter would have to be deamed unsafe when dealing with uncertain metals of alloy wheels which are always cast. Hell you might as well just super glue them on with no lugs and go racing. Just plain stupid, if you can not find wheels, that you like, with all that is available today you would be better off selling your car and riding the bus and keep the rest of us safe from idiots doing unsafe things to their cars.
Leave a comment: