Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I think the only way to bring one into CA would be to get either an M20B25 or a M42B18 car. Then, you will likely have to put all of the US smog equipment on (I have no idea what, if anything, will be missing I'm just speaking generally here) and get the car smogged. I'm sure there are other things seeing as how this is CA.

    It almost makes me want to move up to Lake County so I wouldn't have to deal with smog lol.

    OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by noypi2 View Post
      I have always wanting to buy a Touring...but Im from CA Republic too. Anybody here in CA have a Touring that is legally registered ?

      Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
      The ARB website is a mess of conflicting statements. Technically it looks like you could get almost any M20 touring registered in California if it passes laboratory testing, but I think it will be an uphill struggle if it does not have an M42b18 or M20B25.
      I'm almost positive an M40 cannot be registered in California, since that engine was never sold and it is unique enough from any other engine sold in California. An M20B20 should be able to be registered since it differs only by emissions and displacement from an M20B25.

      http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ldctp/udi.pdf Page 2 states that an engine does not need identical emissions equipment and displacement as an engine in the same family, already certified for California sale. As long as it is related enough, and passes lab testing, it can be registered.



      http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_fa...t_cars_faq.htm

      Grey Market vehicle regulations, like the new vehicle certification standards they are based on, are a performance standard and do not have specific equipment requirements.
      I interpret that as saying, if it passes a sniffer test in their laboratory, it's good, provided it is in the same series as an already certified Engine.


      The only part I'm really fuzzy on, are diesel E30's. We had diesel 5 series cars with identical engines, so I imagine that is how they would be registered. That engine was certified, but does it matter that it was in a different body?
      Diesel does not let you avoid lab testing for grey-market cars. So the whole pre '98 smog exemption does not apply.
      Last edited by earthwormjim; 07-04-2016, 12:56 PM.

      Comment


        #18
        Help help help!!Can anyone help? i just got the 1991 E30 325i Touring from Florida and car was imported from Japan,. I went to DMV last week and the lady told me it shouldn't be a problem to have the title registered, then I paid for the fees and she said I just need to go to the CHP have them to put the vin number into their system and go back to get the license plate.

        Today, I went to the CHP and the officer told me I have to the laboratory test because the vehicle is from Grey market and I called the company and they charge me from $4500 minimum and up to $6500 to get it done...my touring is 1991 325 M20. can anyone help here? any option do i have?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by af dynamic View Post
          Help help help!!Can anyone help? i just got the 1991 E30 325i Touring from Florida and car was imported from Japan,. I went to DMV last week and the lady told me it shouldn't be a problem to have the title registered, then I paid for the fees and she said I just need to go to the CHP have them to put the vin number into their system and go back to get the license plate.

          Today, I went to the CHP and the officer told me I have to the laboratory test because the vehicle is from Grey market and I called the company and they charge me from $4500 minimum and up to $6500 to get it done...my touring is 1991 325 M20. can anyone help here? any option do i have?
          I don't mean to sound heartless, but you should have read the regulations for California. They explain that laboratory testing is required, unlike all other states.

          There are two labs I know of G&K and some other lab in the Bay Area. It costs them a lot of money to remain certified, hence the high cost.

          There is no other way around it, either pay for the lab testing, or sell the car. Getting a touring in California is an expensive ordeal.

          On the plus side, once the car is registered in California and passes lab testing, it is smog'able by any subsequent owner. Having a touring registered in California should let you charge a premium if you decide to sell.
          Last edited by earthwormjim; 09-27-2016, 07:31 PM.

          Comment


            #20
            Thanks a lot man,.. I guess I have no other choice..hopefully I can get it done ASAP.


            Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
            I don't mean to sound heartless, but you should have read the regulations for California. They explain that laboratory testing is required, unlike all other states.

            There are two labs I know of G&K and some other lab in the Bay Area. It costs them a lot of money to remain certified, hence the high cost.

            There is no other way around it, either pay for the lab testing, or sell the car. Getting a touring in California is an expensive ordeal.

            On the plus side, once the car is registered in California and passes lab testing, it is smog'able by any subsequent owner. Having a touring registered in California should let you charge a premium if you decide to sell.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by af dynamic View Post
              Thanks a lot man,.. I guess I have no other choice..hopefully I can get it done ASAP.
              Wouldn't count on it being as soon as possible. G&K told me several weeks.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                Wouldn't count on it being as soon as possible. G&K told me several weeks.
                yeah 4-6 weeks.. I still think this is worth it,. :)

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by af dynamic View Post
                  yeah 4-6 weeks.. I still think this is worth it,. :)

                  Agreed, I planned ahead and budgeted laboratory fees into my total touring budget. All told I'm looking at around $16,000-$17,000 for my touring. Funds are coming from my TDI buyback from VW, so I still have quite a lot left over in my budget for potential s52 swap down the line.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                    Agreed, I planned ahead and budgeted laboratory fees into my total touring budget. All told I'm looking at around $16,000-$17,000 for my touring. Funds are coming from my TDI buyback from VW, so I still have quite a lot left over in my budget for potential s52 swap down the line.
                    Wow, talk about a difference comparing WA to CA

                    I'm 8K into mine to drive it in WA

                    Comment


                      #25
                      You read this shit, then laugh your ass off at how many people scoff at the prices that are being asked for these basically stock tourings.
                      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                      -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by af dynamic View Post
                        Help help help!!Can anyone help? i just got the 1991 E30 325i Touring from Florida and car was imported from Japan,. I went to DMV last week and the lady told me it shouldn't be a problem to have the title registered, then I paid for the fees and she said I just need to go to the CHP have them to put the vin number into their system and go back to get the license plate.

                        Today, I went to the CHP and the officer told me I have to the laboratory test because the vehicle is from Grey market and I called the company and they charge me from $4500 minimum and up to $6500 to get it done...my touring is 1991 325 M20. can anyone help here? any option do i have?
                        Get it registered out of state, find a way.......$4500-6500 is out of the question in my book and a total ripoff by the state of CA.
                        FEEDBACK:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

                        BMWCCA #398608
                        IG @yagayo38

                        "The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by getouth View Post
                          Get it registered out of state, find a way.......$4500-6500 is out of the question in my book and a total ripoff by the state of CA.
                          It's getting much harder to do this. California even has a tattle tale website, where your neighbors could (and do) report you. The fines are quite steep, they could even take the car away.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I've been to San Diego, LA, and Silicon Valley, and still wonder why anyone lives in CA. Tattle tale hotline for car registrations, and people actually use it? What on earth could make dealing with the endless CA BS worth it (except for constantly doing hot actresses/models)?
                            1992 325i 'vert
                            1988 320i Touring
                            1977 530i
                            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                            2001 325i - R.I.P.
                            BMWCCA
                            E30CCA

                            Comment


                              #29
                              the weather's pretty nice..
                              cars beep boop

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by kronus View Post
                                the weather's pretty nice..
                                Good point! San Diego near the water = best weather in the USA.
                                1992 325i 'vert
                                1988 320i Touring
                                1977 530i
                                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                                2001 325i - R.I.P.
                                BMWCCA
                                E30CCA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X