Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this wagon?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thoughts on this wagon?

    So someone smashed my e30 and I need another car asap. I was gonna go e30 again but i've had mine for 6 years so I thought I might change things up a bit.

    The posting for the car says it has 200k miles and that the radio doesnt work but the exterior is spotless, it also recently passed smog. He's asking 2,700. Should I pull the trigger?

    Also when I go to check it out, what should I look out for specifically on e34's?
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by LJ851

    And why is there a penis on your vent opposite your non racist duck tape?

    #2
    more pics

    here are some more pics
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by LJ851

    And why is there a penis on your vent opposite your non racist duck tape?

    Comment


      #3
      I have both an E30 and E34 Touring. You'll appreciate the plush and comfy ride of the E34 but at the same time I bet you'll miss the E30, too. Just totally different rides. I like my E34 better as a daily though.

      Looks clean. I'd get it at that price if everything checks out ok.
      Look for rust at the bottom of the doors - both inside and out.
      Make sure panoramic roof works in all directions and see if the headliner is secure and not drooping.
      Ask about any error codes! The Trans Program is common and annoying but I wouldn't say it's a deal killer.
      Ask about the rear suspension. If self leveling, does it work?
      Make sure all windows work. These fail a lot on the E34.

      Anywho! I say go for it!
      Last edited by EyExR; 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM.
      My 325iX DIY Threads:

      Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

      325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

      325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!


      Comment


        #4
        Take off money just cause Bronizt.


        Otherwise, heck yes buy the car. Fresh, I'd have five more if I could.

        Cars are like avatars.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          Take off money just cause Bronizt.

          Don't knock it if you can't spell it!

          :devil:



          Headliner was the first thing that came to mind.

          Check for signs of Valve cover leaking (common).

          Drive it and see if it's floaty or wanders (control arm bushings).

          Look for any signs of water leaking/pooling in the interior (door seals or sunroof drains clogged).

          Steering gear doesn't feel sloppy.
          1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
          2006 BMW X3
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

          Comment


            #6
            It is a curse word, Android must have autocorrected :)
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

            Comment


              #7
              check the tailgate to see what's working. there is a lot going on that can add up to $$$

              1) Do both the tailgate and glass popper handles work
              2) When you lift the tailgate up, does it stay up, or are the shocks dead
              3) When you lift just the glass up, does it stay up, or are the shocks dead
              4) Do all lights work
              5) Does the rear wiper and spray nozzle work
              6) Does the key open the tailgate
              7) Does the rear defroster work - Hard to test, but ask the guy.

              Front suspension can be pricey too - try and ascertain how worn it all is. Slop in steering, looseness or clunking over bumps, etc.

              Also, I'd check to make sure all touring specific parts are accounted for. They are hard to come by. Rear seats, any of the rear cargo area covers/panels, rear door panels.
              -

              Comment


                #8
                Looks nice and reasonable price...

                Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                  check the tailgate to see what's working. there is a lot going on that can add up to $$$

                  1) Do both the tailgate and glass popper handles work
                  2) When you lift the tailgate up, does it stay up, or are the shocks dead
                  3) When you lift just the glass up, does it stay up, or are the shocks dead
                  4) Do all lights work
                  5) Does the rear wiper and spray nozzle work
                  6) Does the key open the tailgate
                  7) Does the rear defroster work - Hard to test, but ask the guy.

                  Front suspension can be pricey too - try and ascertain how worn it all is. Slop in steering, looseness or clunking over bumps, etc.

                  Also, I'd check to make sure all touring specific parts are accounted for. They are hard to come by. Rear seats, any of the rear cargo area covers/panels, rear door panels.
                  -
                  Thanks so much for your help! by looking at your sig I can tell these are words of wisdom :D
                  Originally posted by LJ851

                  And why is there a penis on your vent opposite your non racist duck tape?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by 325i_swap View Post
                    Thanks so much for your help! by looking at your sig I can tell these are words of wisdom :D
                    ha, thanks. when I bought my car, all 4 struts were dead, the rear defrost did not work, and the rear wiper was semi-functional. now one of the poppers stopped working, and the lock is worn out. #touringlife

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Yep, seconded all of the above... as another Touring owner. When i got mine i pumped some money into the cooling system and some other engine maintenance. Next up is a 5 speed swap from my old e34 sedan DD.

                      If it matters to you, double check the condition of the the rear interior trims in the cargo areas. Obviously all is Touring-specific and if it's broken or cracked to hell, it can be tough to find nice replacements. check for staining around the headliner on the sun roof for any water damage, indicating clogged drains.

                      As with other e34s, if you can get it on the highway for a test-drive, check to see if it has any shimmy between 50-60mph. This can eventually develop into a 'death-wobble' (ask me how I know!) not unlike an old Jeep. That's usually a good indicator the thrust arm bushings are shot, and if you're in there you might as well take care of it all. Don't cheap out on suspension parts (no eBay 'kits', or the like) otherwise you'll be back under there doing it again in a year. I did a complete overhaul of the front & rear suspension on my '95 (no SLS) and it has been a fantastic DD.

                      Oh, and a Mark D chip does help w/ throttle response and makes the slush box bearable....

                      Come summer, i will have to tackle a few issues with the gate - the hatch popper finally quit working and the rear defrost did as well.
                      -Geno

                      '87 325is (s52'd)
                      '95 525iT
                      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE

                      Comment


                        #12
                        should we setup a touring 'fix your f*in hatch' day?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                          should we setup a touring 'fix your f*in hatch' day?
                          PITA!!! Everything works now sometimes..LOL!!!

                          Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                            #14
                            were you able to repair the harness pretty well without pulling the whole thing?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                              were you able to repair the harness pretty well without pulling the whole thing?
                              Yess..the breaks are just by the door jamb...

                              Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X