Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was the M5 so much heavier than a 535i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was the M5 so much heavier than a 535i?

I dont have concrete numbers but Ive seen it vary from 300-600# which is absolutely crazy IMO

Anyone know why ?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
    Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
    Originally posted by Melon
    Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

s38 heads are gigantic, bigger front brakes, bigger sways, thick leather all over the interior, sound deadening everywhere. a bunch of suspension stuff was thicker too i think

internet seems to think top non-M E28 weight was around 3100lbs and 3300 for the M5, FWIW.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      s38 heads are gigantic, bigger front brakes, bigger sways, thick leather all over the interior, sound deadening everywhere. a bunch of suspension stuff was thicker too i think

internet seems to think top non-M E28 weight was around 3100lbs and 3300 for the M5, FWIW.
      200# is reasonable I guess, especially when you factor all of those things...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
      Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
      Originally posted by Melon
      Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

Comment

not sure about what year exactly the 535's got power seats, but the early 83-84 533i had manual seats among other things that made them even lighter than the 535's. I believe they're the lightest E28 with a big 6 motor
        Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by richardb View Post
          not sure about what year exactly the 535's got power seats, but the early 83-84 533i had manual seats among other things that made them even lighter than the 535's. I believe they're the lightest E28 with a big 6 motor
          It was in late 85 that they got the power seats.

Andy

Comment

Working...
          X