Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 Coilover suspension DIY (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is everyone interested in front and rear or just front? only cause rear is somewhat of a coilover set up.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by downernsp View Post
      Is everyone interested in front and rear or just front? only cause rear is somewhat of a coilover set up.
      The rears are super simple, there isn't any modification required IIRC, just buy the shock, slap the coilover sleeve and spring on.

That said, I would also like to know what shocks will work for the rear, just standard E28 Koni Yellows?

Comment

This thread is exactly what I need. I finally decided to do a decent suspension setup rather cut springs and blown shocks ha. I just need someone to spoon feed me what shocks I should get, what and where I should get the sleeves, and which springs I should get including spring height and rate.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
          also: Do E28s and E34s share the same suspension components? As in are the shocks interchangeable? Is the suspension interchangeable between chassies? (wtf is the plural of "chassis"?)

I have heard of the E34 540i brake upgrade to an E28, so obviously something swaps over...
          AFAIK, only the rear shocks are interchangeable, but the E34 ones are longer so they will make the E28 sit higher.

Brakes from a plethora of cars are interchangeable to the E28, including the E31 and E32. The most common upgrade is to take E32 750iL front brakes with E34 540i rear brakes. They all bolt right up, as long as you have the carriers and all other associated hardware.

Some people put in the E32 master cylinder for better feel, but I didn't find it necessary when I swapped in the aforementioned brakes.

Here's a good FAQ about what will fit the E34/E28/E24, brake-wise:

BMW E34 5 series, Tuning, repairs, troubleshooting.

Comment

Originally posted by latinobimmer View Post
            AFAIK, only the rear shocks are interchangeable, but the E34 ones are longer so they will make the E28 sit higher.

Brakes from a plethora of cars are interchangeable to the E28, including the E31 and E32. The most common upgrade is to take E32 750iL front brakes with E34 540i rear brakes. They all bolt right up, as long as you have the carriers and all other associated hardware.

Some people put in the E32 master cylinder for better feel, but I didn't find it necessary when I swapped in the aforementioned brakes.

Here's a good FAQ about what will fit the E34/E28/E24, brake-wise:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Brakes.htm
            That's good info right there.

I assume also that E34 540i front brakes will fit on an E28?

Comment

Yes, they do

Here's even a set for sale: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=100332

Comment

Yes, they do

Here's even a set for sale: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=100332
                I don't need to buy any, I have a whole E34 540i donor car! ;)

It will donate the brakes/hubs, remote brake booster, wheels, and M60B40 to my '85 520i.

Comment

Why are you swapping the hubs?

Comment

Why are you swapping the hubs?
                    I'll be swapping as much as I can.

Comment

Is it an upgrade or something? Are you sure it even fits?

I'm pretty sure the E34 hub is 83mm, and E28 is 82mm.

Comment

Is it an upgrade or something? Are you sure it even fits?

I'm pretty sure the E34 hub is 83mm, and E28 is 82mm.
                        I have never heard that, I always thought that the hub diameters were the same.

Comment

Check Realoem.com

Comment

Check Realoem.com
                            Realoem has no such information.

According to some quick searching just now, both E28s and E34s (along with a heck of alot of other BMWs other than the E39) have a 72.5mm hub diameter.

Comment

Okely dokely. I definitely saw on Realoem that the E28 has 82mm and E34 83mm, but it must've been referring to something else hub-related

Comment

Okely dokely. I definitely saw on Realoem that the E28 has 82mm and E34 83mm, but it must've been referring to something else hub-related
                                Yeah I think it was, I think it has something to do with the wheel bearing cap dust cover or something odd like that.

about halfway down the page here it says what the E28 hub diameter is: http://www.scrappycrow.com/e28wheels...eelstires.html

Near the bottom of this page is talks about E34 hub diameter: http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrad...ls_upgrade.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X