Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF happened to early model window motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

odd as that chassis is set up for lhd
    I read a few threads with body restorations from Finland and the UK. Almost every panel was rusted, and they had to cut, patch, weld in.

I always wondered why they wouldn't get a shell from California.

I believe all E30 M3s were left hand only.
    If somebody dares to convert one to RHD, it will cost much less. Everybody wants it as original as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

I read a few threads with body restorations from Finland and the UK. Almost every panel was rusted, and they had to cut, patch, weld in.

I always wondered why they wouldn't get a shell from California.

I believe all E30 M3s were left hand only.
      If somebody dares to convert one to RHD, it will cost much less. Everybody wants it as original as possible.

that makes a lot of sense then.

i spent a little time in scandanavia. there are loads and loads of automotive and motorcycle enthusiasts. they form clubs to pool resources and build shops and stuff. very cool scene.
      there's something similar local, but it'sort of had to be taken over a bit more as a business for profit.

Comment

Would be cool if you could find new sunroof parts

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
          Would be cool if you could find new sunroof parts
          i think you can still get the cables. that's what fails for the most part anyway. i scoured everything i could from a wrecker once, rails and all, just in case. the one in my car is currently fubar. i have a spare set of cables but i might spring for new.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
            Its possibly the first time that I've seen what I would call a "common" part fully discontinued, even through RealOEM. Bizarre to have the drivers side readily available and the passengers non existent. Thankfully there's rebuild services out there, just a pain in the ass to send out and wait.
            You're kidding right?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You must be surprised how many parts are actually available.

I doubt you'll find anything for a Supra from 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

You're kidding right?
                Perhaps a slight exaggeration combined with not having to do part hunting recently
                Swanny!
                SUCKERS.

Comment

It's a pretty easy swap to use the late model motors in the early car. I did when my motors failed. Just one hole to drill. You need the late glass too if I remember right.

Comment

You must be surprised how many parts are actually available.

yeah, but parts have been disappearing for years. There's a huge amount of parts in the ETK that are NLA.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

yeah, but parts have been disappearing for years. There's a huge amount of parts in the ETK that are NLA.
                      Most parts are not made by BMW anyway.
                      Many companies with the label "West Germany" have disappeared.

Comment

Most of the parts labeled West Germany still work. HAH

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

put together an 85 celica a while back. totalled a couple yrs before gettting the e30. it was a fantastic car. it was part of the reasion i got the e30. needed some fun again.

i really didn't have any issues getting stuff. plus not much really ever broke. i had the sport spec without the tops. the pump- up seat bladders always were toast on the things. beyond that not much else went. i did a minor suspension upgrade and replaced some bushings, and a clutch kit. got 10yrs of service. not a drift missile or anything.

Comment

The takeaway is that we are lucky to have any parts at all. The margins must be very slim, and the initial costs rather high to reproduce fairly low demand parts that manufacturers/distributors know will be less in demand as time goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                              The takeaway is that we are lucky to have any parts at all. The margins must be very slim, and the initial costs rather high to reproduce fairly low demand parts that manufacturers/distributors know will be less in demand as time goes on.
                              there are folk / businesses already who support the community, providing both parts and services, likely more as a commitment and less as profit driven for sure.

edit : should add, that is where like to send my dollars more and more in support when making purchase decisions. a bunch are board sponsors.
                              Last edited by 82eye; 12-20-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

there are folk / businesses already who support the community, providing both parts and services, likely more as a commitment and less as profit driven for sure.

edit : should add, that is where like to send my dollars more and more in support when making purchase decisions. a bunch are board sponsors.
                                To be sure. However, those same people probably can't make a timing belt, water pump, clutch disc, wiper motor, or a crank sensor, and that's where something like an E30 is likely to get left behind. Especially with manufacturers trying to shift to serve the emerging electric market, and not wanting to be seen as supporting "dirty" automobiles.

Either we will have to adapt other items, or it will become moot when the cars are simply legislated off of the road, but it seems extremely unlikely to me that E30s will be sufficiently supported past 2035 to remain highly viable daily drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X