Need some help with cooling issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with cooling issues

I changed the timing belt on my 87 325e as well as the oil pan gasket. This took about a week and a half, from the time I starter until I finished (working after work, and not every day). When I got everything put back together, I ran it a bit not too far from my house. I had some issues with cooling system, but I bled the air and this seemed to take care of it.

This morning, I drove it to work (about 35 miles) for the first time since I have done the work. On the way there, I did not have any problems. The car ran just a bit hotter than it had previously, but still below the halfway point on the temp gauge. It started without a problem. When I got in my car to come home, I had a terrible time getting it started. Then the temp ramped up very quickly, and went past the normal operating zone. It never over heated, but it definitely got hot. The gauge then dropped suddenly back into the normal zone. From there, the gauge bounced all over the place and would climb above normal every time I would have to come to a stop. Once again, the temp never climbed into the red, but above the normal zone. The gauge bounces all over the place at every bounce. I am not leaking any coolant, so I am not sure where to start looking.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Working...
X