Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 325i Airbag steering wheel swap for M Tech 1 wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325i Airbag steering wheel swap for M Tech 1 wheel?

Thinking about swapping my M Tech 1 wheel into my 90 325i. Any problems with airbag lights? .... or other issues I want to know about?

Thanks
    sigpic 1987 325is

You'll need another washer to throw in there for it to fit snug.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I went by this post: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...55&postcount=3 when I did mine, don't forget to remove that little white pin, or your steering will lock-up while trying to turn the wheel.

Comment

Hi, Just swapped my airbag steering wheel to M1 BMW steering wheel, can anyone help me out regarding connecting the horn on the M1 steering wheel ??? I drive a 1991 318..Thank You in advance..

Comment

If you do it right, everything should work. Make sure everything is done right...Wheel/spacers/nut. Remove spring loaded peg, disconnector airbag connector under the dash at the orange box. Enjoy.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You wont have any issue, follow what others have said. I removed mine, I went a step further, I removed the whole airbag computer (orange box) and I also swapped my overhead check panel for a non airbag version so the light was not even there. You can also just pull the bulb if you want.

Before

After
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
              You wont have any issue, follow what others have said. I removed mine, I went a step further, I removed the whole airbag computer (orange box) and I also swapped my overhead check panel for a non airbag version so the light was not even there. You can also just pull the bulb if you want.]
              Do all the other functions on the non-airbag overhead check panel work?

Thanks, Cory

1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Do all the other functions on the non-airbag overhead check panel work?

Thanks, Cory
                Well they did until I swapped to the S54. My seatbelt, and brake check still work now. If all you are doing is the airbag, all the rest should work fine.

Comment

You wont have any issue, follow what others have said. I removed mine, I went a step further, I removed the whole airbag computer (orange box) and I also swapped my overhead check panel for a non airbag version so the light was not even there. You can also just pull the bulb if you want.
                  Interior looks great! Loove the doors!

I don't know why I never thought to get a non-airbag check panel. Thank you!
                  20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post

Interior looks great! Loove the doors!

I don't know why I never thought to get a non-airbag check panel. Thank you!
                    Thanks!

They are pretty cheep online I think I got mine for $30.

Comment

Before

After
                      did you bend your indicator stalks back at all? curious if the wheel sits really close or not? Thanks
                      1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post

did you bend your indicator stalks back at all? curious if the wheel sits really close or not? Thanks
                        I actually bought preairbag indicator and wiper stalks, you dont have to you can probably bend, but I wanted the right ones.

Comment

All of the above is correct. I put a 3-spoke in my 1992 cabrio. Now I don’t hate my steering wheel.

I kept my airbag steering column turn-signal and wiper stalks. They’re close to the back of the steering wheel, but I don’t mind driving it like that.

Word of advice: make sure that the airbag system is completely de-energized and discharged before messing with the airbag steering wheel. Those things can kill if they go off inadvertently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	89751475-F2BA-47D4-A184-70C1C6253F9D.jpeg
Views:	1090
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	9926700 Click image for larger version

Name:	031545D3-9F52-478E-B582-2B83CA10D95D.jpeg
Views:	1047
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	9926701
                          Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                          1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                          Palm Beach County

Comment

I actually bought preairbag indicator and wiper stalks, you dont have to you can probably bend, but I wanted the right ones.
                            Thank you. I currently have the original spacer-wheel-spacer and then a washer and still need to get another washer or two for the horn to make contact. Dreading bringing it even closer to dashboard.
                            1991 318is
                            2004 330ci
                            2011 335d

Comment

So the hub adapters that say they do not work for a 1991 325i, is this simply because of the airbag? And with the above fixes (spacers,removing white pin,disconnecting the airbag computer) the hub adapters will work otherwise? I know signals and wipers will be close. Thanks, trying to do all the searching I can myself but a lot I threads end without answers.

Comment

Working...
                              X